Oil Question- Synthetic or non?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
With a factory recommended service interval of 7500 miles on our trucks for the most part, with Amsoil, you can actually go up to 22,500 miles or one year whichever comes first. That is when used with an Amsoil EA Oil Filter.

For lack of better wording, how would i know when my oil is no longer good?? Is there a way a regular guy with no equipment could tell?

kris1351

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can go on the Amsoil page and they have a testing company they recommend. Is cheap, used it with my Diesel 2500HD I just traded for the Tahoe. Amsoil worked great in it, ran quiet and analysis was consistently much better than normal synthetics. Looking to swap everything on the new one to Amsoil when the time comes.

..sorry didn't see the date and bumped an old thread.

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For lack of better wording, how would i know when my oil is no longer good?? Is there a way a regular guy with no equipment could tell?

Wow, I am REAL late on this one. Sorry for the delay, I missed this post somehow.

The only way to truly tell if the oil is still good beyond normal service intervals is to perform used oil analysis testing. Basically you get a small sample of the oil in the crank case and send it in to be tested. Doing this not only lets you know whether you are getting excessive wear metals, etc, or if the viscosity is holding; it will also give you an idea of whether there may be an underlying issue inside the engine that could be leading to larger problems down the road.

You can use the link below to order a sampling kit. When you order that kit the testing and postage are pre-paid.

Oil Analyzers Used Oil Analysis Test Kit (Postage Pre-Paid)

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just change the oil...it's prolly cheaper than analysis.

Depending on the "Series" of oil a person chooses from Amsoil, "OEM" "XL" or "Signature Series", you could start out with a service interval ranging from OEM intervals all the way up to 25K miles or one year with their "Signature Series" oils. That being said, they have different time allotments for their recommended intervals which are 6 months - OEM, 10 months - XL and 1 year - SS.

The average driver today drives between 13-15K miles a year, for the sake of example let's say 15K, and let's say you chose the signature series oil. With an Amsoil filter you would be looking at around $80 for the oil change(Approximately). Oil analysis is about $30. By utilizing the oil analysis, it is very possible to extend your actual drain or change interval indefinitely. I have dealers and customers doing this in Duramax trucks running well over 30K miles on one oil change using oil analysis to keep up with what is actually going on with the oil and inside their engine. By doing this, not only are they saving money, they are also saving on disposal fees because they are not dumping their used oil nearly as often while having a smaller nevative impact on the environment.

The idea is to change the way you think about the maintenance of the oil. Changing it that is from the old stand-by belief that you must change it *** number of miles without fail. Amsoil is engineered like no other oil on the market and provides warranted protection over and above anything else on the market, so being able to convert your maintenance habits to include oil analysis allows you to truly take control of your maintenance budget as well as providing better overall maintenance to your engine instead of just guessing when it may or may not need changed.

In the end, you may save a little up front for cheaper oil, but over the life of the vehicle, taking into account the average American is now keeping their vehicles for 7 years, you will save money making the adjustment to using Amsoil in conjunction with used oil analysis.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change to Synthetic.....reset the oil on the dash....change at 50%......end of discussion.....lol :Handshake:

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALL of my cars have ALWAYS used synthetic, and when I bought my escalade, it had synthetic in it from the factory. The oil life indicator usually gets to 20% at around 8k miles, so that's when I change mine. It costs 2 times as much as conventional oil, but the change interval is twice as long, so for me, it's a wash and no reason not to run it. I run ~25k miles a year in my car, so I don't want to change my oil every 5 weeks.....

yingxuy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In most cases, you can extend further than the interval time, I see their use of oil analysis of diesel in the past, to see it and test every 7 - 10K34K miles, especially oil changes are still in use today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shughes022

Latest posts