OK to reuse thermostat housing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can never go wrong with the paper gaskets and RED rtv. GEN 1 SBC came factory with paper gaskets and never had Orings and ive never ever seen a Gen 1 water pump leak except at the weep hole or the nose at the shaft. Toss the oring if its leaking and dont put another on there.
IIRC, the o-ring also keeps the thermo from flopping around in the cavity. I could be wrong though.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a new housing from the dealer years ago. It included the thermostat. I remember having to make sure it was correct for my application because there are some part number differences. Guess that's why I had the dealer look it up for me.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going forward you might want to put a bottle of UV dye in the recovery tank so as to keep an eye on any small leaks that may develop. Not absolutely necessary but it wouldn't hurt for added piece of mind.

Attachments

• 71JfWoOrt2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71JfWoOrt2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 5

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think RTV is needed if the gasket/o-ring thing is properly fitted around the thermostat and placed in the housing. RTV has a way of eventually going to places where you don't want it. I recently replaced my thermostat and no leaks and no RTV.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
@2006Tahoe2WD Yeah I talked to the gentleman at O'reillys and he recommended not use RTV, just try new gasket. It is holding up well so far no leaks.
In this case it sounds correct BUT, I would be weary of recommendations for repairs from most parts people. After all, they are the ones that pull a code for free and then tell you, "this code means you need this $100 part".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24