On vacation need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

DenaliDrive

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
looks pretty typical, I wouldn't sweat it too hard just keep an eye on it and have it fixed when you get home.
the rear differential has to be pulled, brake has to come off and axle pulled out to replace the bearing and seal so basically a lot of labor for a $20 part
Going to limp it home. All the local shops are booked up and no rentals anywhere. What would be the cost roughly for a repair like that, CAD dollars.

Appreciate the quick replies.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to limp it home. All the local shops are booked up and no rentals anywhere. What would be the cost roughly for a repair like that, CAD dollars.

Appreciate the quick replies.
really depends you might find estimates anywhere from $650-1200 USD again reason being mostly labor
you could diy for probably under $200 USD, you would need dif gasket/seal, rear diff gear oil, rear wheel axle bearing, axle seal.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how that leak is coming out of the hub cap?? Typically any leaks show on the back side of the wheel/rotor/axle housing.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how that leak is coming out of the hub cap?? Typically any leaks show on the back side of the wheel/rotor/axle housing.
axle seal is leaking and bearing is making noise. most likely the bearing wore out and this causes the seal to leak. pretty common to happen like that. If it wasn't making any noise then it could just be a bad seal. either way the axle has to come out to fix it.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really depends you might find estimates anywhere from $650-1200 USD again reason being mostly labor
you could diy for probably under $200 USD, you would need dif gasket/seal, rear diff gear oil, rear wheel axle bearing, axle seal.
The rear ABS tone ring complicates pulling the bearing and putting it back together. Also when the bearing fails it *can* but doesn't always take out the bearing area of the axle. Once upon a time you could get something called a green bearing that offsets the spot it hits the axle but I believe the ABS negates that option.

If possible while on vacation you should limit driving to mediate the possibility of axle damage.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roque44