Opinions on the GM lockpick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoseyWales

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2011 Denali and was interested in the GMX550 lockpick for the nav. Do any of you guys have it installed, what are your thoughts, does it work smoothly with no hiccups?

BigRed76

SeniorGroupbuyMember
Reaction score
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!! Seriously I think all of us on the forum who have it certainly can't imagine life without it.

gbleezy

loves to snowboard
Reaction score
yup, i definitely couldn't live without it. works just as stated with no issues.

OP
OP
J

JoseyWales

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is it easy to install or should I get a shop to do it? I read on here that it was a pain to get it all behind the dash. Also, where did you guys run the iPhone cord out at?

BigRed76

SeniorGroupbuyMember
Reaction score
very easy to install .... comes with easy to understand directions.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good thing that it's an easy diy job cause interestingly enough most shops (in my area) won't go near it with a ten foot pole ... apparently a few peeps had issues with them and it fried their whole nav system and came for their nav replacement money to the installers.

For the record, I was never told which company's lockpicks did this and which models, but in these parts most car audio shops now stay clear of them.

Also for the record I personally have never heard or read from anyone saying that this specific make and model lockpick has done anything other than that which it is built to do ... I'm just noting that personal installation might be the only option for many folks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoseyWales

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So where did you guys run your iPod and USB cord out? I was thinking of putting them inside the center console storage area, is that a bad idea?

Fish1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just found this forum because I heard about the GX550 for bluetooth and iPod integration for my 2008 Tahoe Hybrid (just got it). Glad to hear good reviews of it.

CoastalTech's website makes it sound so easy to install. You guys have actually made me nervous :) Is it easy enough for a newbie? Anyone post any pictures of the installation/setup?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968