p0178 code after engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brads0813

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 03 suburban that had the 5.3 in it. The motor blew and i had a 4.8 at the shop that i put in it. now the 5.3 was set up for flex fuel and i didnt care to have it so i kept the 4.8 as it was without flex fuel. after driving for couple months im starting to get rough idle, engine stalling while driving and wont start again for awhile, i replaced crankshaft position sensor but it didnt help. hooked my scanner to it and getting a P0178 code, which now i realize can cause all my symptoms. is the only way to fix my problem at this point is to tune it out? or is there another way to bypass it? or is this even my problem? lol maybe crankshaft position sensor?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are the connections to the fuel composition sensor good, and have you been running NON-E85 (only gas)? Did you make any changes to the PCM or have anything tuned?

Assuming that you've been running only gas (E10, not E85) your scanner should be able to verify that the alcohol content is 10% or below. If it's higher, reset it with the scanner. And verify the connections to the fuel composition sensor because that's what the code points to, a circuit problem.

And anytime a crank position sensor is changed, a CASE relearn is recommended. Not always necessary, or required, but not doing it can lead to random misfires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou