p0300 pissing me off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the SES light is on, the technician will find a P0300-P0308 DTC with misfires counting on a single cylinder that may or may not be felt. This may occur consistently, or it may occur intermittently. If a tick noise is verified, it will not be eliminated by canceling fuel injectors and the noise will sound like a valve train tick.

It may be the result of any of the following:

1. worn camshaft lobe and/or lifter roller
2. a sticking valve
3. valve leakage
4. a broken valve spring
5. a collapsed AFM (Active Fuel Management) lifter.

Here's the full write up with a description of driving under certain conditions to test and diagnose the misfires
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25948

B

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol...more guessing and money throwing....!!

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol...more guessing and money throwing....!!

Sometimes it's just a process of elimination, same thing dealerships and shops go through

B

allDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
first ? where have you been geting your parts? that is the biggest problem from buying them at autozone/advance & so on. ive worked at a dealership for to many years & seen it all the time, junk parts bought to replace bad parts is one of the biggest problems that people dont know. those parts are set at a discount price for a reason.. im leaning towards a intake leak or possible injector problem. fist spray some brake cleaner on the outer edge of the instake next to the valve covers & if it missfires then you found your problem. GM v8 on suvs dont have many problems with there cat converters

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Great stuff....keep up the guess work as some call it. Some of us call it troubleshooting"

Lol...if you think what his doing is troubleshooting then I think you guys are crazy. He went from changing his spark plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel pump..etc..etc..what's next the alternator. Oh wait!! the radiator maybe.

Well since you guys like guessing or troubleshooting as you put it. Why don't you take my guess and change your CAT maybe that will solve something or not.

OP
OP
hassoun

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mac, obviously you know nothing about cars/trucks. Any thing that doesnt throw a specific code is basically a "Guessing". im not mad that i spent all that money its stuff that needs to be done sooner or later. Fuel pumps go bad usually on these trucks. well guess what ? i dont have to worry about it anymore. As boss said, part of troubleshooting is guessing. you have to change spark plugs, wires and things like that. Thanks Boss and everybody else for your inputs. i'll let you know what comes up. i am pretty sure its an intake gasket leak as i can hear it from under the truck. im also suspecting the car as BOSS said.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 AM ----------

first ? where have you been geting your parts? that is the biggest problem from buying them at autozone/advance & so on. ive worked at a dealership for to many years & seen it all the time, junk parts bought to replace bad parts is one of the biggest problems that people dont know. those parts are set at a discount price for a reason.. im leaning towards a intake leak or possible injector problem. fist spray some brake cleaner on the outer edge of the instake next to the valve covers & if it missfires then you found your problem. GM v8 on suvs dont have many problems with there cat converters
bud, i dont buy cheap parts. i buy top of the line performance parts. thanks for the advice. i'll see what i come up with this weekend

amaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, tonight I was cruising and SES light came on, total loss of power... I managed to drive to work and only DTC was P0300... I had to leave Tahoe to work and get that f**king Saab 9-3 to get home... have to try to fix problem tomorrow...

OP
OP
hassoun

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
random misfires are one of the hardest things to figure out. first thing you do is change sparkplugs. thats like the first "troubleshooting" step. i have a feeling that even after i replace all the parts i ordered, im gonna come to an end and admit that my cat is clogged haha. i purchased something called CATACLEAN. read alotta good reviews about it. so we'll see how it goes. good luck on your repair as well bud

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...do I win a Prize?...It seems i won the guessing game.:head3:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy