P0442

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a small leak in the evap system. Ordered a gas cap for the hell of it, but I want to check the charcoal can and hoses/solenoids. Popped the hood and couldn't find it. Is it by the gas tank (remember reading this somewhere)? I got snow on the ground here, and was hoping it would be easier to assess.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's either in front of the fuel tank or on the back of it. It's more likely that you need the updated vent valve kit. With snow on the ground I wouldn't be surprised if you found snow and ice in the valve preventing it from moving or sealing.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No that's the egr valve. The EVAP vent valve is underneath mounted near the charcoal canister.

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if this helps. PM me for more "pictures" like this.

Attachments

• Electrical Component Locations 2004.jpg
    Electrical Component Locations 2004.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
Yukongk

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if this helps. PM me for more "pictures" like this.

That helps. Thanks!

So, if I ignore this code, is it safe to say that nothing will happen.....but get it fixed prior to emissions inspection?

Mechahead

Reaction score
Ignoring the code will do nothing to the overall operation of your truck. But it will need to be fixed eventually.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yukongk

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well 2.5 months and the code came back. I changed the gas cap 2.5 months (a few thousand miles) ago and cleared the code. Weird that it would take this long to come back, no?

kschumake83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not really, how often do you drive your truck? The evap system is only checked so often and in certain conditions, which often do not happen in winter around our way.

OP
OP
Yukongk

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not really, how often do you drive your truck? The evap system is only checked so often and in certain conditions, which often do not happen in winter around our way.

I drive about 50 miles per day.
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968