P1351 after replacing ignition coil and icm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to the guy who just replaced the distributor and mentioned all this and he said there is no adjustment for it. And then I find this. The 5.7L engine is what came in this truck, so I think this may actually apply? I honestly don't even know how to tell, but I think this is what I have. Can anyone tell me how to verify?

1646064546192.png

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you are reading CMP Offset? I made a mistake using DashCommand where I was actually reading “Timing” with numbers close to yours. I finally got the GM PID loaded and I had to rotate my distributor counter clockwise until it was contacting my upper intake, and I was able to dial it in to -.3’ at 1000rpm.
3A192163-AF5F-4245-9F73-2A6C8D53B6DE.jpeg

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you are reading CMP Offset? I made a mistake using DashCommand where I was actually reading “Timing” with numbers close to yours. I finally got the GM PID loaded and I had to rotate my distributor counter clockwise until it was contacting my upper intake, and I was able to dial it in to -.3’ at 1000rpm.
This is what I got
1646066897675.png

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to the guy who just replaced the distributor and mentioned all this and he said there is no adjustment for it. And then I find this. The 5.7L engine is what came in this truck, so I think this may actually apply? I honestly don't even know how to tell, but I think this is what I have. Can anyone tell me how to verify?

View attachment 364513
You can verify, by disconnecting your battery. Pulling #1 spark plug out. Pulling your distributor cap off and out of the way. Getting a socket and a large ratchet, and rotate your engine harmonic balancer until the timing notch aligns Top Dead Center on the compression stroke, your distributor finger should be aligned to the triangle like picture. Then you need to fine tune adjust distributor with truck running, by leaving your distributor hold down bolt just loose enough, you can carefully rotate distributor in fine increments.97EC1CD5-1EB2-4309-8DCD-42B9E4BB369C.jpeg

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's weird is that it doesn't run rough at all though, nor any issues with power at any speed, sputtering, etc. The only issue is the P1351 code with goes along wiuth a start, stall after a second, then start again and it runs fine.

Plus the mechanic said there is no adjustment for this distributor, just like in the screenshot above (which is actually from Mitchell OnDemand) where it says the distributor is installed in a fixed, nonadjustable position for HVS (which I may or may not have??). So, of course, I'm utterly confused...

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's weird is that it doesn't run rough at all though, nor any issues with power at any speed, sputtering, etc. The only issue is the P1351 code with goes along wiuth a start, stall after a second, then start again and it runs fine.

Plus the mechanic said there is no adjustment for this distributor, just like in the screenshot above (which is actually from Mitchell OnDemand) where it says the distributor is installed in a fixed, nonadjustable position for HVS (which I may or may not have??). So, of course, I'm utterly confused...
The code you would be latching would be a P1354 code if the distributor was out that much anyway. Hopefully someone else weighs in with some more insight.

OP
OP
D

doncaruana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The code you would be latching would be a P1354 code if the distributor was out that much anyway. Hopefully someone else weighs in with some more insight.
That's what I was expecting, that I'd get P1354. Still seems like it should be adjusted properly, I just can't convince myself it's the cause of my original issue, which is the P1351 that GM says is "Ignition Control Module Circuit High Voltage".

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like it's time to diagnose that ICM and/or circuit.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the original iCM still, maybe try swapping it back, clear the code, and see if it latches the P1351 again?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
racolson