Paint Bubbling and Rust Spot Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickchowell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, first time posting but I've been reading this forum for awhile now. I have a 2002 Tahoe that has two rust spots under the passenger side doors and some bubbling spots on the liftgate, one of which the paint is peeling off. Can you all point me to some good resources for fixing these trouble spots. I love my Tahoe, it's in great condition, and I want to keep it that way. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

ghost

Reaction score
your going to have to find a friend or auto body who can weld and is good with body work. depending how bad the rust is, its going to have to be cut out and a new section welded in. it is going to be pretty pricey to fix unless you know someone who does it on the side. my hoe was rusting around and below the gas tank, and we cut it out and welded a new section in. luckily my tahoes white so it will hide some of the flaws but if you have a dark paint, you should have this professionally done.

OP
OP
nickchowell

nickchowell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just for reference here is what I'm talking about with regards to rust on the rocker panels(?). I don't think its through the panel, just surface rust. The larger spot is the drivers side and smaller is the passengers side.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1334839434050.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334839434050.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 60
  • uploadfromtaptalk1334839454794.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1334839454794.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 45

dwild

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Paint Bubbling/rust

I have a white '03 Yukon and am starting to have some of the same problems... was working on them tonight and it does appear to start under the paint and not rust through from behind the panels. I'm lucky to have a good body man, think we can strip and re-paint.

comerz1

Reaction score
These body styles are notorious for the rockers rusting out. Have replaced many in the body shop. First thing to do, run it by the dealer, there may be a chance you can have it repaired under warranty depending on year/mileage. Past that, like has been mentioned, best to have it cut out and replaced. This all boils down to a product FAILURE. The base layer of metal sealer failed to perform it's function properly.

h8nbmps

Reaction score
Mine are rotted out completly.going to replace them in the spring along with driver side floorpan.2001 with 124000 on the clock no reason for them to b rotted

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ela2q