Painting stock wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I'm going to have to put my winter wheels(stock 16s) on in late fall and was thinking about painting them black like Z56 Hoe. I just have a few questions and would like some input-
1. Would it look funny on stock height?
2. Would it look funny with the white walls facing out? Already have my tires mounted with white walls out.
3. Would it look weird with semi aggressive tires? Right now I have them mounted with stock size (265/70/16)?, I think, Yokohama geolandars AT/S with only 5000 miles on them.

All opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

My stock wheels and tires-
jaes049-1.jpg
Z56 Hoe's wheels-
http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/album.php?albumid=800&pictureid=6640

Last edited:

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
Ya know if You don't like them with the White walls out You can always Sharpie it out. Just My cents

yukondoit

Stay Classy
Reaction score
Exactly. Or take some flat black paint to it.. I did that to my old tires before, held up pretty good.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had mine painted black for a while now. I have to touch them up here and there but if they are just your winter tires I say go for it. Same rims as yours with big BFG AT's

OP
OP
chauncey0337

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya know if You don't like them with the White walls out You can always Sharpie it out. Just My cents

A word from the man himself. I've always liked your truck. Thanks for your input, gentlemen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chauncey0337

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So, what's the best paint to use on wheels (preferably rattle can)? And should I go flat, semi, or gloss?

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used rattle can. First time around I did Rustoleum. They held up all winter and about a year with pretty rough use. Touched up with Krylon Fusion. I went flat black on mine.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to ask why you`re going to put on winter wheels?

I have the same 20`s on my yukon and the reason i bought them other than them looking great on our trucks is that they are coated and the road salt does not damage them at all.

I run them all year round and they look as good as the day i bought them.

OP
OP
chauncey0337

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to ask why you`re going to put on winter wheels?

I have the same 20`s on my yukon and the reason i bought them other than them looking great on our trucks is that they are coated and the road salt does not damage them at all.

I run them all year round and they look as good as the day i bought them.

Thanks for the input Ted, but over time, I don't think anything is immune from road salt. I would love to keep these wheels on year round but I need them to last the life of the car so I'll take any precautions necessary. Maybe I'm just paranoid, idk. Is there anybody that can confirm or deny this?

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cant confirm for sure, but my stock 16's had a bit of yellowing before I painted them. Wasnt really noticeable except to me but oh well. The only reason for me getting a set of summer rims and tires like you have would be for a better ride. Right now my winter tires are BFG AT's and get a ton of traction in snow. Just my two cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968