Parking brake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shelly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A couple days ago I pushed my brake down and it wouldn't come back up. The cable between the release and the pedal works, if I pull on it it moves the handle anyways. The cable under the car is very loose and the bracket appears to be out of place. By this, I mean it's not attached to anything but the cables. I have tried to manually release the brake, if I'm pulling the right thing. Actually some clarification of where the manual release exactly is would be fantastic. So, I'm wondering is it possible that I just need to reattach this bracket so there's actually tension and it's potentially good to go. Ideas, advice? thanks for the help!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

nharkey85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont think the silver bracket mounts to the frame. I am concerned as to why the cable from the the park brake pedal is so loose unless the pedal released and the brakes are seized. Should be able to follow the 2 cables towards the axle to the brakes and start there.

OP
OP
S

shelly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, hopefully tomorrow some of this snow and ice melts away and I can really investigate!

OP
OP
S

shelly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just got out here and it's that main cable that runs up into the cab. wasn't attached to anything, pulled right out.

OP
OP
S

shelly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just got out here and it's that main cable that runs up into the cab. wasn't attached to anything, pulled right out.

DenaliBQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cable snapped happened to two of my trucks if you dont use it regularly it goes

OP
OP
S

shelly

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went to the part store for the front cable, they don't even stock them, gotta order it. Any advice or tips from changing yours out? I guess mine was just tires because I use it every time I park.

oldchev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is fine and I keep it clean and lubed so have not done this particular repair. Here's a link to a You Tube video you may want to watch. It may be close to what you are trying to do. You want to make sure you order the correct length as the guy in video says there are several depending on truck/SUV layout.
Take your remaining cable off and note any disassembly procedures you do (take a picture) for reference if you don't have a manual. Measure the defective part or take it with you. If you know the length you can buy this online through a variety of suppliers. Check E-bay, there are oodles of them. If GM dealer...take your VIN number.
Hope this helps,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968