Performance Brake Upgrade Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
I have an SSBC three piston brake kit for the front of my 08 LTZ burb which also upgrades the rotors to 14inch.
I recently saw that SSBC now has a three piston brake kit for the rear with 14in rotor as well. You guys think it makes sense to upgrade to this for the rears or simply go with a plus size rotor and caliper relocation bracket and keep the stock rear caliper?

Just looking to see what everyone thinks on this one.

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the SSBC big brake kit that relocates the stock calipers on 14" rotors. I'd love to upgrade to the tri-power calipers...just can't justify the cost.

Go for it.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running the same SSBC kit up front and stockers in the rear. The stock brakes in the rear are good enough to lock up the rear wheels with the traction control/abs off, so upgrading to the larger kit probably wouldn't make much of an improvement at all other than asthetically.

OP
OP
WingsAA

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
I'm running the same SSBC kit up front and stockers in the rear. The stock brakes in the rear are good enough to lock up the rear wheels with the traction control/abs off, so upgrading to the larger kit probably wouldn't make much of an improvement at all other than asthetically.

That's what I figured. For the money, I'll probably just upgrade the rear rotors and keep the stock calipers. The SSBC kit up front should be a considerable enough gain.
I'll have to continue to give this one some thought.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I say run only the SSBC kit in the front also. To see an actual daily driving gain in the rear portion you would have to be running like 28" wheels.
With anything 26s or smaller, doing the front kit alone will have you prob. stopping better than the NNBS Tahoes with stock 20s, talkless of adding just aftermarket upgraded rotors/pads out back.
I am running 24s now, and the truck performs/stops exactly how it did when I had the stock 20s.
Not surprising, considering they weigh just as much as the 20" wheels/tires weighed, but also the diameter on the wheel/tire is only .3" bigger.

OP
OP
WingsAA

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
I'm really leaning on simply upgrading the rotors in the rear to the SSBC upgraded rotor kit and keeping the stock calipers. I'm still running stock 20s and biggest I would go is 22in.