performance mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjballar41

Reaction score
what all can u do to the tahoes to get a lil more power? wasnt there a whipple kit? exhaust i know and air intake which i have. anything else? i know speed isnt the goal but hp and tq is what i want.

Dlong30

Reaction score
whipple HAD a kit, now discontinued. you can still find used ones online but others make kits too. I'm not gonna go into severe detail about FI mostly cause idk that much. but basically if you wanna run more than 5-7 lbs your going to need to upgrade fuel system i.e. marine intake with external injectors. but how about a cam to wake it up, match it with a higher stall converter and most everyones favorite mod a true custom tune. (Blackbear) If you start getting into making some real power your transmission is going to need to be beefed up or move up to 4l80 or what i really want to do which is the nv4500. Im sure others will chime in that have actually performed these but i guess its a good start

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if your sig is upto date.
Universal mod's
Efans,
muffler,
Underdrive crank pully, do this last as the $ per HP is weak.

kinda going out on a limb here and assuming you have a 5.3.

Grab a Z06 Cam, springs, pushrods, should cost ya aprox 300$ or less, Toss in the inline 6 Trailblazer convertor 225$ and get a tune 250$ (inperson), some 1.8 full roller rockers (only if you never go beyond the Z06 cam, or have a custom built to your specs).. You will see VAST improvements.
Leave exhaust alone other than maybe a muffler. With your tires and gears you need as mutch 1-3.5k power as you can get, headers will kill it.

If your 5.7, do same setup but change the cam and stall for similar specs and go with 1.6 rockers (check valve to piston clearance's), Maybe a TB spacer after everything else is done..

Or just say F the dumb shiet and bolt on a FI unit...

Regaurdless you will be killing that trans soon, so start peicing together your 4L80 parts kit..

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A custom tune and longtube headers with full exhaust is where I would start, they were best mods I'd done before the cam swap. The factory exhaust from the muffler forward on the 1/2 ton Vortec 5.7's less than 2"....Changing the muffler alone won't do a whole lot when you have tiny tubing in front of it.

Scroll down a few posts in this link and check out the exhaust GM installed on the 3/4 ton vs the 1/2 ton trucks. Safe to say I don't think GM wouldve used bigger pipe if they thought it would lose any torque down low. I went with dual 2.5" pipes and wouldn't go any smaller unless it was mandrel bent.

http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9793&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

OP
OP
bjballar41

bjballar41

Reaction score
good info guys ive looked at the blackbear tuning thinkinga bout it and ive thought about upgrading the trans is the 4l80 that much better and does it bolt straight up to the 5.7? i do have 4.88 gears in the back idk how much that affects it. and im gonna say exhaust is gonna be first hast to custom ran so i can fit front driveshaft so i can get 4wheel drive hooked up first. what exactly is the fi? fuel injection? or something else?

OP
OP
bjballar41

bjballar41

Reaction score
also who else makes a kit kinda like whipple? ive only seen the style like vortech

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah im thinking about forced induction... Is there anything else besides used whipple and the vortech style?

DefendHawaii

Snake Eater
Reaction score
I know a guy selling a Vortec 5700 with a full whipple kit. He wants to sell the entire vehicle but doesnt run since needs new trans. I think he will part though.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a new tranny wil not make more power, just a way of handling the added power.

Basics:
headers, muffler(s), intake, custom tune, cam