performance mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bjballar41

bjballar41

Reaction score
ya i understand that. but what about a built stock one? or should i still upgrade to the 4l80.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
80 is a better option. I stillhear guys with built 60s blowing them up, change to an 80 and no problems

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 60/60E was never designed as a fullsize truck trans. S10 and camero's blow them up all dya long, GM used them to save money instead of developing a new trans or upping HP/TQ ratings of engines in full size trucks to push the 80.

The 60/60E is a hand grenade with pin pulled in our bigass SUV's, its not If, its a matter of when will it blow.

Compound that with any mods and its a certainty. Bolt on a FI unit, and you have just a few months driven like a man with some nuts.

The 80 in its stock form will outlast a built 60E by far. Build it and you can put blowing a trans out of you mind for a very long time.
Look to the 2500or bigger series for your drive line parts, its all a simple swap. other than trans mount, and that just requires you to drill 4 new holes in frame to bolt it in.

There are countless threads on this at GMfullsize and LS1trucks.

GL on your build.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bjballar41

bjballar41

Reaction score
thanks ill take a look at that

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

ok i know none on the transmission but will having auto trac be a problem when i change it out?

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 80E has the 32 spline output where the 60E is 27 spline. You'll be swapping the input on the transfer case or a cheaper solution for me when I changed to the NV4500 was to buy a used t-case with the right spline count.
80E is a little longer too so it make sure the front driveshaft you get is long enough if that's what you're going with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmds3