Pioneer install in '06 Tahoe with Bose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRLexpress

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just starting to install Pioneer DMH-W2770NEX in my 2006 Tahoe with Bose. Everything works but I want a new head for nav and backup camera. Since everything still works, I was thinking about leaving the Bose amp. What I am not sure of is which speaker leads to use. The head came with a harness that has power and speaker leads and everything else in it and another harness that is called "Pre Out" that has RCA plugs speaker leads. I am thinking I would use the "Pre Out" one if I leave the Bose amp in. If I take the amp out I would use the leads in the main harness. Am I thinking correctly? Still on pain meds while rehabbing from surgery so who know if my brain is working.

Also, when I removed the Bose head there is a second plug, maybe 12 pin, that all the YouTube videos I watched said don't do anything with. What all is in that. Just curious.

There is a blinking red light on the Bose head when parked, I am assuming theft system. I don't have to do anything with that, like reflash the computer do I?

Thanks for all advise.
Doug

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Just starting to install Pioneer DMH-W2770NEX in my 2006 Tahoe with Bose. Everything works but I want a new head for nav and backup camera. Since everything still works, I was thinking about leaving the Bose amp. What I am not sure of is which speaker leads to use. The head came with a harness that has power and speaker leads and everything else in it and another harness that is called "Pre Out" that has RCA plugs speaker leads. I am thinking I would use the "Pre Out" one if I leave the Bose amp in. If I take the amp out I would use the leads in the main harness. Am I thinking correctly? Still on pain meds while rehabbing from surgery so who know if my brain is working.

Also, when I removed the Bose head there is a second plug, maybe 12 pin, that all the YouTube videos I watched said don't do anything with. What all is in that. Just curious.

There is a blinking red light on the Bose head when parked, I am assuming theft system. I don't have to do anything with that, like reflash the computer do I?

Thanks for all advise.
Doug
Speaker wires will or should be in the wiring harness those rca plugs are for external amps for a subwoofer or door speaker amp to get audio signal from the head unit
If you got the harness for the swap it should be plug and play if not the wires are color coated and you just match them all together with the matching color

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Go to www.crutchfield.com and enter your vehicle info. What I found were three options to support your OE wiring. Expand the "View Products" at the bottom when you're on there and it shows the mfr and model of the adapters. Then buy one somewhere and install it.

1723513742465.png

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for all advise.
Doug
if you want rap and chimes then it's not plug-n-play in any case you need a adapter to make that stuff work, the bose is optional and the aformentioned adapter will have the option for bose or not.
if you are not using the bose amp then you will want to change all the door speakers as they will sound like cr*p with just a straight headunit.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want rap and chimes then it's not plug-n-play in any case you need a adapter to make that stuff work, the bose is optional and the aformentioned adapter will have the option for bose or not.
if you are not using the bose amp then you will want to change all the door speakers as they will sound like cr*p with just a straight headunit.
"No highs, no lows, must be Bose" is a common joke among the audiophiles... IDK?

Back to the OP: I think you can find a wiring diagram for the Bose amp, then cut the speaker wires to be powered by your head unit, and leave the powered subwoofer, powered by the Bose amp?

I deleted the front console on my 06 Suburban (needed the jumpseat), and what I did was deleted the Bose amp/subwoofer. I bypassed the amp so my aftermarket head unit powered the speakers directly. I remember it was a PIA to do the wiring harness, which runs down the kick panel. I left the harness tucked underneath, in case I want to sell the truck and reinstall the console back in.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"No highs, no lows, must be Bose" is a common joke among the audiophiles... IDK?

Back to the OP: I think you can find a wiring diagram for the Bose amp, then cut the speaker wires to be powered by your head unit, and leave the powered subwoofer, powered by the Bose amp?

I deleted the front console on my 06 Suburban (needed the jumpseat), and what I did was deleted the Bose amp/subwoofer. I bypassed the amp so my aftermarket head unit powered the speakers directly. I remember it was a PIA to do the wiring harness, which runs down the kick panel. I left the harness tucked underneath, in case I want to sell the truck and reinstall the console back in.
I have done the factory system delete before, the main reason was to try to make it sound hopefully better and have more power but using the stock speakers just sounds worse because the ohms are not correct. Bose does a little undefined "hocus-pocus" with there amps to get the low power sounding a certain way by filtering the sound. when you change that the results are not what one might expect. I personally am not one trying to make it sound like a orchestra just something slightly better. just takes money is all.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My advice to you mirrors some of what has already been stated. For now, contact Crutchfield by phone and get the proper adapter harness for an aftermarket head unit and Bose downstream equipment. This will make the setup plug and play with no wire cutting, crimping, soldering.

At some point in the future, if you want to convert to all aftermarket (as many of us have done), you purchase the appropriate aftermarket equipment and obtain a new adapter harness from Crutchfield, which will continue to make the conversion plug and play.

OP
OP
D

DRLexpress

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Speaker wires will or should be in the wiring harness those rca plugs are for external amps for a subwoofer or door speaker amp to get audio signal from the head unit
If you got the harness for the swap it should be plug and play if not the wires are color coated and you just match them all together with the matching color
Thanks.
Yes, I got an interface, but my main question was which set of speaker leads out of new head to use. I am thinking "pre Out" if I am going to keep my Bose amp.

OP
OP
D

DRLexpress

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Go to www.crutchfield.com and enter your vehicle info. What I found were three options to support your OE wiring. Expand the "View Products" at the bottom when you're on there and it shows the mfr and model of the adapters. Then buy one somewhere and install it.

View attachment 435147
Thanks.
I had spent some time on Crutchfield but did not make it to the page you gave me. Makes me wish I had got their interface, little to no soldering and it uses the 2nd plug in the factory harness, even though I don't know what is in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Gumbo