2024 Yukon XL Diesel - getting towed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flynfish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New Yukon XL with 7,938 miles. Wife just left neighborhood to take kids to school and the car shut down and won’t restart. Saying there is an emissions issue, so now waiting to have this towed to the dealership it’s crazy that it won’t even let me restart and limp along to move it out of the street.

OP
OP
F

flynfish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: tow truck showed up. You can’t put the vehicle into neutral without starting the engine and he didn’t have the wheel rollers that would be needed. I decided to try disconnecting the battery, which actually worked. I started the car fine and drove it to the dealer for them to look at. Seems like a possible electronics problem? Unfortunately disconnecting the battery clears the codes they said, which is crazy that they don’t get saved in GMC system. I got an alert from the GMC app about emissions issues, so why couldn’t that save the issue?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All DTCs are stored. It might not be an active DTC anymore, but even a $10 Bluetooth code reader from Amazon can tell you history codes. More advanced scan tools can show you FFD (freeze frame data) that can give a tech a glimpse at various sensor readings before the fault code occurred.

If the dealer says they can’t see the fault code then I would go to a different dealer.

OP
OP
F

flynfish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok that makes much more sense to me. I couldn’t believe that disconnecting the battery would cause all history to be erased.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF DEF was the issue, there would have been warnings on the DIC that fluid level was getting low, etcetera.
My guess is an electrical issue, these things just don't go "bam" and shut down unless something isn't communicating/connecting.

OP
OP
F

flynfish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Def was 75% level, so it wasn’t that. Definitely seems like an electrical issue. When I had it in for an oil change a month or two ago, they did a software update that was required. After that, when you start the car and drive, the radio audio wouldn’t play unless you changed the channel. I brought it in to have them check things and they said they needed to replace the whole thing based on the diagnostic result.

So maybe the radio issue has some relevance to what was going on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mallard

Latest posts