Poor Gas Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tbower1969

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2007 Tahoe, Z-71, 4X4. I love the Tahoe but I think I am getting very poor mileage out of it. I have gotten as low as 10.5 mpg and as high as 13.5 mpg in the city. I have gotten 15.5 mpg on the highway.

It only has 68,000 miles on it. I have the tires inflated up to about 40+/- psi. I think I am driving it like an old lady and my girlfreind says the same thing all the time. This is the third vehicle in the body style that I have owned. I had a 2007 Yukon, 2WD and a 2008 Yukon XL, 2WD. This 2007 Tahoe is, by far, the worst gas mileage I have experienced with all of them.

Is this about right mileage or is there something wrong?

Tahoe.jpg

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the MAF and Throttle Body are filthy? I just cleaned mine, but they weren't terribly dirty even though I was at 100K miles.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its definetely going to be lower then the 2wd models that you previously had and IMO the numbers you posted are about average for these trucks. Maybe 1 or possibly 2 mpg low but driving style/octane/elevation may be the reason thats all but again its about rite. Did you check your airfilter?

Last edited:

Cypress

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2012 2wd with just over 6k miles and I can do no better than 11-12 around town. Highway is a totally different story...I can get 20+ easy. But pure city driving? mileage is totally awful...

I've done everything from babying it, to filling up with higher octane, to switching to synthetic oil, nothing has been an improvement. Love everyhting else about the 'Hoe but the city mileage which has been a total bummer...

cjweb11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds a little low but not surprisingly low
I have the same '07 z71 4wd 3.73 gears @ 60Kmiles with a 2.5"/1.5" level, 285/65/18 BFG's @ 50psi without a tune (yet) and my overall average is 14.5 (and that's about 90% city driving) I wouldn't say i granny it but I don't slam it either

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your numbers are about average, unfortunately. On the highway, the engine, gearing and transmissions on these trucks do great...20mpg+ is not uncommon. Around town not so much. That being said my average is usually between 14-15 city. I fully expect that to drop a bit now that I've got bigger tires. I doubt my city numbers will be much better than 13.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rosun1