Power Lift gate problem.....Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think maybe that will help it open as well?

yes because if the motor is getting support with opening the hatch from the struts, it won't be able to open it on it's own.

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our escalade has been having similar problems. It will open automatically with the remote or the latch just fine. However, when you go to press the button to close, it will not move, but you can hear the motor running. The weird thing is, is that when the liftgate is opening, if I press the close button at any time before it is fully open, the tailgate will lower and lock properly.

Would replacing the struts fix this problem as well, or does it seem to be in the motor, as it will still lower and close, just not close from full open.

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
Our escalade has been having similar problems. It will open automatically with the remote or the latch just fine. However, when you go to press the button to close, it will not move, but you can hear the motor running. The weird thing is, is that when the liftgate is opening, if I press the close button at any time before it is fully open, the tailgate will lower and lock properly.

Would replacing the struts fix this problem as well, or does it seem to be in the motor, as it will still lower and close, just not close from full open.

Dont quote me on this as i dont know exactly how it knows when its fully open or not, but when my rear gate wouldnt open by any button, my issue was the latch part only...the part that actually holds the door locked...it sends a signal or something that tells the motor when its unlocked/locked and thats how they open together...i replaced that an mine started working just fine...

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score

shundal,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with the lift gate on your vehicle. I may not be able to give any technical advice but I would like to look into this concern. Please private message me your VIN with a brief overview of your concern.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont quote me on this as i dont know exactly how it knows when its fully open or not, but when my rear gate wouldnt open by any button, my issue was the latch part only...the part that actually holds the door locked...it sends a signal or something that tells the motor when its unlocked/locked and thats how they open together...i replaced that an mine started working just fine...

So your liftgate wouldn't open at all? Would it make any noise when you tried to open it with any of the buttons?

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
It wouldnt open at all...it would just unlatch and make a bunch of noises like it was dying (coming from the latch area)....id pull it open by hand all the way to the top...when i press the button to close it, it would just make noise and stay open...

My thought process was that since the latch is making noise (regardless if its the motor that lifts the gate up and down was bad) id want to replace the latch as well due to the noise, i couldnt stand it...after i replaced the latch, the lift motor works fine.

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a new latch today. I hope it works! I'll update as soon as I get it installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968