Power Lift gate problem.....Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chilidawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my 2010 yukon in April 2013, when I started going through old receipts from the previous owner, I discovered that the power lift gate has been an issue since new. The latch had been replaced three times and the module once. I stated having trouble about a month after I bought the truck. At first it would partially unlatch but I was able to open the gate by hand and it would work again then later it would stop working for days. In the year I've owned the truck it has been in for service six times for the lift gate at a total cost of almost $1500. They have changed the latch, shake test the wiring and recalibrated the liftgate. The new latch is acting up after five weeks. This morning I opened the liftgate and it started bobbing like it didn't know which direction to go in.

The sales manager has offered to take back the truck and find me a new one, we just have to work out the details. I use the cargo area on a daily basis and I just don't feel confident in this vehicle anymore.
image_zps026e3c67.jpg

Last edited:

MonoAnt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anybody know the part# for the latch? is this the right one GM 13581405, im having the same issue as most people on here

Fudpucker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Motor works...but gate stops halfway and closes again.

Ok.....I have a 2007 with 165,000 miles on it. Runs perfect. Last 2 days the lift gate when trying to open it, would open halfway, then close. If I tried opening it by hand, same thing. Motor and remote appear to be functioning ok, just the gate seems like it's hanging up on something opening.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needs new struts. 20 bucks a piece online. Like 40 from the dealer or autozone.

50Chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My father-in-law has a 2007 Suburban that has had an inoperable power liftgate for about 4 years. First, it wouldn't open automatically any more and only make noises, but it would still latch. About 4 months ago, the latch failed and the door opened on the highway, so he tied the door closed. For a Christmas gift, I bought him a new door latch and struts installed them (upon inspection, old struts were still good). The door will now open with any method (overhead console button, remote, or door handle) lights blink 3 times and chime sounds. The door will unlatch and fully open properly. I can hear the motor running. If you press the button or remote, the lights blink once and the latch makes about 10 seconds of noises, but the door does not move. If you close the door manually about a foot, the latch makes the same 10 seconds of noises, but the motor does not run. I have checked all the harness from the headliner to all door components, but none appear damaged (as per the GM TSB). Is there a liftgate relay, because it appears to not be reversing the polarity of the motor to close it. There is a microswitch on the motor gears that engages the closing and opening of the door when it is about 3/4, because when I manually close the door and the microswitch engages, the latch begins to reset and make noise, but the motor does not run to close the door. Once manually closed, the door latches properly with about 10 seconds of noises (probably because the door timing is off and the BCM realizes the motor is not running in reverse) I do not have access to a Tech II scanner to run the GM diagnostics. From all the posts that I have read, the motors do not go bad and replacing them does not solve things. It has always been a problem with the latch. A liftgate wiring diagram for a 2007 LTZ would be very helpfull as would any suggestions. Many thanks!

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my 08 Tahoe LTZ is doing the only open about 1/3 of the way and close(with the remote)...common issue I gather.

I have the power lift gate turned off and just open it up the old way.

My latch is making all the noise and I have replaced the struts with new OEM replacements.

Now I just pulled the latch out and the part number is 15839037, I guess I will order a new GM part and call it a day.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well apparently my truck was still on the original power lift gate latch, because the part number shows that it has been replaced with another part number:

Part No. 15839037
Part Description LATCH
Replaced By 13502698