Preserving Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mentalattica

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post here.

I just bought a 2007 Yukon SLT with 35k mi. last week. I did tons of research on this SUV and the only bad things I've come across is on MSN autos. I read that the 4L60e transmission periodically fails. I browsed a few forums before buying and have seen people having multiple tranny repair/replacement @ under 50k mi.

Even after reading this I fell in love with the Yukon so I bought it and grabbed an extended warranty just incase.

My questions are:
Is there really an epidemic of these transmissions failing, or is it not as wide spread as it seems to be? If other model year Yukons and Tahoes use this tranny, I don't get why the 2007 would have so many problems according to MSN but other years don't.

Is there anything I can do to preserve the tranny? (short of not driving it :)) Things such as fluid/filter changes much sooner than recommended? Aftermarket cooler? Or is that a complete waste? I don't tow, but will probably tow a small Uhaul for 1200 miles when we move next year. So maybe once or twice in the life of the Yukon will I ever tow anything.

Also how do I find out which gear ratio I have? I think it's 3.42 but I'm not completely sure.

I'll probably have a ton more questions after getting to know my Yukon more. I hope I can look to the members here for answers.

Thanks!

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post here.

I just bought a 2007 Yukon SLT with 35k mi. last week. I did tons of research on this SUV and the only bad things I've come across is on MSN autos. I read that the 4L60e transmission periodically fails. I browsed a few forums before buying and have seen people having multiple tranny repair/replacement @ under 50k mi.

Even after reading this I fell in love with the Yukon so I bought it and grabbed an extended warranty just incase.

My questions are:
Is there really an epidemic of these transmissions failing, or is it not as wide spread as it seems to be? If other model year Yukons and Tahoes use this tranny, I don't get why the 2007 would have so many problems according to MSN but other years don't.

Is there anything I can do to preserve the tranny? (short of not driving it :)) Things such as fluid/filter changes much sooner than recommended? Aftermarket cooler? Or is that a complete waste? I don't tow, but will probably tow a small Uhaul for 1200 miles when we move next year. So maybe once or twice in the life of the Yukon will I ever tow anything.

Also how do I find out which gear ratio I have? I think it's 3.42 but I'm not completely sure.

I'll probably have a ton more questions after getting to know my Yukon more. I hope I can look to the members here for answers.

Thanks!
I don't hear of them failing all that much. It really depends on how much lead is in your foot.

It's probably some green advocacy group :Plugged:

OP
OP
M

mentalattica

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I'd hate to think it were a green advocacy group, that would suck. But I've heard stranger things lol.

02Lightning, that's what I was thinking about doing. I was thinking of changing all of the fluids, trans, diff, etc... Even though it only has 35k I don't know what kind of owners the previous people were and I'm pretty **** about my vehicles.

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the fluids fresh. For extra insurance add a supplemental tranny cooler. Heat is what kills transmissions. Keep the temps down and you should have a long lasting transmission....

Rayaz_XL

Reaction score
Change the fluid and filter at recomended intervals, instal a Tranny cooler. Heat is the number one killer for transmissions. My 2007 Yukon Denali comes with an external transmission oil cooler.

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the fluid and filter at recomended intervals, instal a Tranny cooler. Heat is the number one killer for transmissions. My 2007 Yukon Denali comes with an external transmission oil cooler.

My 2002 Z71 also has an external transmission cooler. Depending on who you speak to you'll get mixed advice on drain and fill the tranny vs. flush.

jdogg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 07 tahoe's tranny blew at 63k. I keep up with all my service intervals and yet I still had my tranny blow out. GM had it rebuilt and could not put in a NEW tranny although it is still under powertrain warranty.

OP
OP
M

mentalattica

Reaction score
My 07 tahoe's tranny blew at 63k. I keep up with all my service intervals and yet I still had my tranny blow out. GM had it rebuilt and could not put in a NEW tranny although it is still under powertrain warranty.

That kind of falls in line with what I've been reading in a few forums. Some people believe the newer 07-08 4l60e tranny is too weak for a 1/2 ton truck with the outputs our engines are capable of. I believe the Denali's, Suburbans, and XL's, all have a stronger transmission (4l80e if I'm not mistaken). I'm no mechanic but I wonder why they didn't replace it?

Were there any signs before it went out on you?

Last edited:

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '07 Yukon XL and while I have not experienced any problems I do keep track of the tranny temp especially on very hot days or during the few occasions when I do tow. Remember that you can just cycle through the screens on your DIC until you get to Transmission temp. Fluid and filter changes are ALWAYS a good idea. Honestly, if you want to give a bit of added protection let me suggest going with a pure synthetic transmission fluid. Just like synthetic oils the synthetic tranny fluids do not change viscosity with tempreture changes and do not "break down" with age in fact they are rated a several hundred degrees higher than fossil based fluids. Fossil based oils start to burn at 280 degrees while synthetics don't start until around 600 degrees. Higher cost...yes, but next to your house your vehicle is your most expensive investment. Why not protect it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts