Preventive maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmyler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any that needs to be done on our vehicles for preventive measures? I just hit 90k and i'd like to get the things that might go out fixed before 100k. Like i know most manufacturers suggest replacing the water pump at a certain point, or replacing the starter at a certain point. I can't STAND something breaking on me on a road trip or in the middle of traffic. I"m sure it's in the manual but i have no idea where that thing is.

ChazMan

Reaction score
I would not change parts unless they show some kind of sign before the failure. There are too many parts that can go wrong but don't know when.

One thing a lot of people neglecting is the "U-Joiints" on the propelller drive shaft that connects between the trans bell housing and the rear diff gear box. If you ever saw strandded trucks/suvs on the side of the road with one end of the drive shaft dropped on the ground, that's what happened, u-joint failure. Most, if not all, have zerk fittings where you can squeeze in the grease. Or, just take it to a driveline shop and have them install a new u-joint on both ends, about $200 total.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a Chilton/Haynes manual, it has a maintenance list that correlates to milage.

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're great. I carry mine in the truck with me. You should be able to pick one up from your local parts store for around 20 bucks.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just plugs and a coolant flush IMO.

Watch the water pump, it seems it starts to go around 120 pretty frequently and the gaskets are usually shot.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100