Price for Auto Repair in Ontario Canada!!! Insane!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuikala

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hey i thought everyone could use a good laugh this morning.
I bought a 99 Tahoe 4x4 and brought it in for a safety. Needs a couple things, nothing major. You HAVE to see the bill they gave me, its hilarious.
Front Rotors and pads (already had the pads in truck)
Adjust rear Brakes (what the %?&* is that)
A power steering hose clamp
Oil filter adapter housing seal leaks
Repair exhaust at Y pipe and rear hangar
Driver side marker bulb and signal bulb
1 Front washer spray nozzle and the rear spray nozzle
2 tie rod ends
pitman arm
Multifunction Relay for 4ways
Drivers door pin and bushings
2 USED tires 255 70 16
The estimate. NOT including taxes, was...... :hunter:
$3845.00
thats Three THOUSDAND EIGHT HUNDRED FORTY FIVE DOLLARS!!! PLUS TAX, PLUS ANY INCIDENTALS. :poker:
I paid $2000 for the truck.
The guy at the shop said its a good deal and worth getting them to safety it.
Talk about trying to rip someone off. :favorites68:
I bought all of the parts to do all that work, INCLUDING a NEW DYNOMAX Super Turbo cat back exhaust and 4 almost new tires and rims for less than 800 total. Few hours of my time and its done.
I just thought you`s would like to know the prices we deal with here in canada.
Peace.... ooh wait i forgot one huge thing...the $6 battery hold down too

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I would leave the pitman arm and tires for another different shop and do the rest your self.

That does really sound like a rip off. Good thing you are doing or have done most of it.

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you take it back to them to reinspect it? Just to see his bad attitude sinse you did the work.
Are was it that free safety inspection with the emissions if so that figures.

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear brakes do need adjusted.
The shoes, over time even with the auto adjusters that work properly when new or cleaned fail to work. So the rear brakes do need adjusted.

Being so confident if everything and not knowing that. That's why I have a job, part of the cost is because I have to pay for my house and feed my family just like you.
Part of it is just the stupid that comes in.
An oil change can turn into your list.

I am not saying that is not steep, but you have made it obvious you have some more research and learning to do.

Something a lot of people fail to realize. Had a guy ask about a check engine light. We charge $100. Yeah it's a lot, Auto zone etc... does it free.
Google any Actron scanner/code reader, then google a Snap On Modis Ultra. (Solus Ultra may turn up more, the Modis has a scope)
I have a Modis, also google bidirectional scan tool, look at the price too.

The $300-$400 top of the line scanner at auto zone (in the states) looks like a 5 dollar piece of junk compared to mine.

Mechahead

Reaction score
Something a lot of people fail to realize. Had a guy ask about a check engine light. We charge $100. Yeah it's a lot, Auto zone etc... does it free.
Google any Actron scanner/code reader, then google a Snap On Modis Ultra. (Solus Ultra may turn up more, the Modis has a scope)
I have a Modis, also google bidirectional scan tool, look at the price too.

The $300-$400 top of the line scanner at auto zone (in the states) looks like a 5 dollar piece of junk compared to mine.

That is hard for people to realize. I to have a Modis with euro and its up to date and even my employer doesn't want to pay me to hook it up. Anymore if they won't pay a hour for diag with my tool, I just hook up there actron and tell them the code.

That quote is extremely high for the work that it needs. I would be ashamed to hand that quote to a customer.