Propping Hood Vertical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firsthere

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While reviewing videos of engine removals I noticed some guys propping the hood vertical instead of removing it to gain access for an engine hoist. I'm wondering which bolts are removed and how to steady while vertical.

Anyone here tried this method?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never tried this, but I'm thinking that once you get the hood to that vertical position, you're only 2 bolts away from removing the hood from the truck, so you might as well complete the task and remove the hood from the truck.

OP
OP
F

firsthere

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes , problem is it's only myself doing the work, my son just had an appendectomy so he's out for 4 weeks.

There is a second bolt hole on the plate that attaches directly to the hood. I believe some mechanic's unbolt the pivot on the spring mechanism and move the attachment to the second hole to render the hood vertical.

Attachments

• Tahoe hood hinge.jpg
    Tahoe hood hinge.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 4

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use some kind of stick/piece of wood to prop the hood in place. Remove the bolt at the top of that hinge on both sides. Then push the hood back and prop it in place with a stick/piece of wood. I just did this when I swapped my engine last month. Would definitely be easier with 2 people, but can be done with 1 person.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I removed the main bolt on the hood hinges and raised the hood near-vertical and used some 2x4s as props when I pulled the engine on my 06 Suburban a few months ago. I had my 12 year old son help me though. I guess I didn't see those other holes there on the hinge, so that seems like the way to go

Reaction score
Is your garage ceiling finished or just rafters?

If rafters, throw a rope up over and tie it to the latch ring on the hood and pull it tight to hold it and tie it off on itself. Remove that bolt on each side that attaches the spring bracket. Pull on rope to raise hood more vertical and tie it off again.

OP
OP
F

firsthere

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The trick actually worked and easy on the back. It supports itself just fine, just need two people, one to hold the hood, the other to replace the bolts.

I wouldn't try closing the hood in the setup though, and it might not work inside an 8' ceiling garage.

Attachments

• Tahoe Engine Pull 2.jpg
    Tahoe Engine Pull 2.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Tahoe Hood Hinge Relocate.jpg
    Tahoe Hood Hinge Relocate.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 3

13UpInSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Been using the service position on my 2013 while doing the cam swap. Remove the 2 bolts & I just use them in the like notch cut out to support the hood when it's stood up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lacebm2