Pulling 4L65 fluid loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

project_x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I got around to pulling my LQ4 and 4L65E from the chassis of a Denali I picked up to part out for a few things.

The engine came out smoothly.
I removed the drive shafts from the transfer case.
Front of transmission resting on 2x4 across the torsion bars. I unbolted the trans mount.
Then I lifted the transmission and AWD transfer case.... Worrying about not dropping the transmission... I didn't think about the tilt and managed to dump the transfer case fluid all over the floor.

I then proceeded to unbolt the transfer case and lifted it to the ground. Using the engine hoist I lifted the transmission up to to clear the frame and get the frame out of the garage.
Somehow in this process I lost a lot of transmission fluid... But I wasn't paying attention to where it was leaving the transmission.

1. Cooling lines
2. Tail?
3. Torque converter?

Any other spots? This was a running transmission that had been rebuilt by reputable company 20k miles ago...

I think it was from the cooler lines mostly... Just don't want to miss a seal that has issues

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I got around to pulling my LQ4 and 4L65E from the chassis of a Denali I picked up to part out for a few things.

The engine came out smoothly.
I removed the drive shafts from the transfer case.
Front of transmission resting on 2x4 across the torsion bars. I unbolted the trans mount.
Then I lifted the transmission and AWD transfer case.... Worrying about not dropping the transmission... I didn't think about the tilt and managed to dump the transfer case fluid all over the floor.

I then proceeded to unbolt the transfer case and lifted it to the ground. Using the engine hoist I lifted the transmission up to to clear the frame and get the frame out of the garage.
Somehow in this process I lost a lot of transmission fluid... But I wasn't paying attention to where it was leaving the transmission.

1. Cooling lines
2. Tail?
3. Torque converter?

Any other spots? This was a running transmission that had been rebuilt by reputable company 20k miles ago...

I think it was from the cooler lines mostly... Just don't want to miss a seal that has issues
Yeah, probably from the cooler lines, and maybe a bit from the tail shaft (no trail housing since it's not a 2wd).

Did you remove the torque converter? If you didn't, then there shouldn't be any ATF spilling from it...

OP
OP
P

project_x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, probably from the cooler lines, and maybe a bit from the tail shaft (no trail housing since it's not a 2wd).

Did you remove the torque converter? If you didn't, then there shouldn't be any ATF spilling from it...
Thanks, I didn't remove the torque converter.