Q: Electric Cutout w/ Corsa, is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went ahead and made this thread to keep my other one Corsa-specific for anyone who needs the help there. Thanks to DirtyBlackHoe, I'm never way too interested in an electric cutout system for my own good. I thought it would be far more expensive than what its looking like right now.

So, having been shown what to buy first, I'm now left with a few questions. First, I'm seeing some people worrying about leaks and such. Has anyone experienced this issue and have any comments on it, or any other possible negative side effects to such a system? Any damage perhaps?

Assuming all goes well with it not being a negative mod, who should do it? Is this something where a shop is recommended to do it custom, or is this manageable on my own? I think I could do it, but my only worry is getting the wire and switch through the dash. Never messed with that before.

Next, and this will be the silliest of them all, looking at the part I linked, does it just stop there? Or do you separately buy a dump and just dump it right under the truck? Or do you buy additional piping and lead it out somewhere for a dump or tip?

As always, thanks for the help!

NaomiSays

Hot Tamalé!
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Electric cutouts sound okay but not anywhere near open headers. Every cutout I have ever seen failed eventually but that's in New England. If you garage and never take your car in the rain or dirt, it should last. The tuning should reflect if the cutout is open or closed, and with the MJE AutoCal you can switch between two tunes quickly.

OP
OP
G

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Naomi. It's my daily driver, which I why I want the cutout in the first place. I guess my main worry is more so if it will cause damage/damage itself too quickly (as in, less than 3-5 years or something).

And about the ones you've seen failing, I'm hoping that is just due to the higher amount of salt on the roads then in central Texas where I'm at.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
i would put switch under dash. it should be fine in tx ive thought about them too but its still a lil pricey id rather put the long tubes i got and do a true dual setup

OP
OP
G

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea where the cutout would go? Only place I can imagine is right after the cat, being easiest. Otherwise I think it'd need a cut.

Unfortunately I wasn't even considering a true dual setup when I was looking at my Corsa. Ah well. Would a mid-pipe be a good purchase with headers, or not necessary?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crow