Q: Full repaint of roof... DIY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was mine and I was keeping it for a while, repaint. If I was getting rid of it within a year, I might try to wet sand it and see how bad it is...

That's bad lol

No need to sand to find out hahahha

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste my time with the wet sanding. the only cure for that is to paint it. you could get a red scotch brite pad and plasti dip it. I have done my fair share of complete repaints, that roof is done.

OP
OP
G

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for fun, I got some compound and polish. Honestly feel like the compound did not do a thing. At all. Was kind of disappointed by that. The polish seemed to bring out the black a bit more, hiding the "white" in the oxidation, which I suppose is good.

2 before wash, clay, compound, polish, wax:
20140610_140537_zps7869756e.jpg
20140610_140545_zpsd2b5b8f0.jpg

2 after:
20140610_160043_zpscbfe9ebb.jpg
20140610_160047_zpsb5b11ac8.jpg

That was yesterday. Will look at it before I leave town tomorrow morning. If it holds the look, I may try again. If not, I may just try some black gloss rustoleum, and see what the result is. Really just trying to dodge a repaint. Given that spots are starting to appear all over I feel if I were to repaint the roof I'd just get it all done. I love this truck, I really do. I am totally content on a new powertrain and new paint job and keeping the truck. Keeps me an SUV for maybe 7k and done instead of a 7k down and 40k to go.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I hop on my roof no problem. Used to keep my spare onb my old basket and had no problem rolling it on or off. But yea only problem is getting down..

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I open my doors and stand inside to reach the roof. Are you sure it's oxidation? Do you think the paint is intact under it or do you think the clear coat has failed?
If it was my truck, I'd break out the DA with some Meg's Ultimate Compound and see what happens- nothing to lose at this point. I just clayed my roof and opticoated it. Something I highly recommend when you get it sorted out.

OP
OP
G

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I open my doors and stand inside to reach the roof. Are you sure it's oxidation? Do you think the paint is intact under it or do you think the clear coat has failed?
If it was my truck, I'd break out the DA with some Meg's Ultimate Compound and see what happens- nothing to lose at this point. I just clayed my roof and opticoated it. Something I highly recommend when you get it sorted out.

Would a cheap DA from walmart do the trick? How should the compound be applied?

Guess my last question is, how do you tell if this is oxidized or not? From what I've heard in the past when I had the same issue on my hood, it was oxidized.

Never really considered wrapping. Could it match the paint still?

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a cheap DA from walmart do the trick? How should the compound be applied?

Guess my last question is, how do you tell if this is oxidized or not? From what I've heard in the past when I had the same issue on my hood, it was oxidized.

Never really considered wrapping. Could it match the paint still?

I would use Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Compound (get it at my local auto store or walmart). It's fairly aggressive so you can work a test area by hand (4"x4"). You need to see if you can correct the problem or if the clear coat has failed and then there's nothing you can do (if the clear is failing and you buff though it you will start to see black paint transfer onto your microfiber buffing cloth (STOP buffing)......this is why it's important to wash and clay the test area first- otherwise you won't be able to tell if it's paint transfer or dirt/contaminants) . Do this first before investing in a DA. FYI- Meguiars makes a drill attachment DA that works very well. It's about $60 instead of spending $$$$ on a DA.

Go do the test section and let us know what it looks like/post pics.....use painters tape to tape off the 4"x4" section and go to work.

Beefhouse

Reaction score
Plast-dip the roof until you can repaint. Another forum member suggested that above and I was glad to see someone suggest that.

OP
OP
G

Grimes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plast-dip the roof until you can repaint. Another forum member suggested that above and I was glad to see someone suggest that.

I don't think l would even bother though. I feel like that'd be more noticeable :p

When I get some time in the next week I'll use the compound. As I said before, I used it, but perhaps not correctly. Will try again. Thanks for the tips!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Budzy24