Quality Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I feel better hearing about others having similar issues or worse since I know how annoyed I am and don't wish that for others ;) Here are a few pics showing the tow hooks and the bump on the rear window lining.

View attachment 412303View attachment 412304View attachment 412305
I think you have a case on the window trim, and may be worth getting fixed as could be a spot that water could accumulate and cause corrosion, or maybe a seam is not well sealed, or something.

The tow hook will be up to the dealer whether they feel like going to bat for you or not. Might consider asking dealer if there is some touch up paint available for the tow hooks, they do seem like they possibly may be prone to chipping...

My gut says a tow hook is not an expensive part...if the dearer says "no" you could consider a negotiation like, How about if I buy the part, will you guys swap it in quick? Realistically, I bet if you crawl under there, it is 2 bolts and it slides out...could be a fast DIY

Just checked online, the Tow Hook appears to be $86 retail and $56+shipping from one of the big parts houses...P/N's:
Right: 84338714
Left: 84338710

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I finally got my hands on a brand new Z71 (2023) earlier this month after searching since Feb 2022! That being said, I am bit OCD and there are some things in the build quality that I find annoying...am I being unreasonable or is this the case with all cars?

1. Rubber seal when I lift tailgate up has a hole in it (bottom left hand side) that appears to be maybe a small drain hole but is "torn" and doesn't match the size of one on opposite side of vehicle. The rubber seal in this area is also distorted a bit and doesn't run flush like the other side.
2. The plastic backing that attaches to the interior of the trunk lid has plastic sticking out of the sides in multiple places...like the wrapper on the other side hadn't been removed completely.
3. Small scratch about 1.5" on the plastic in the 3rd row seating area.
4. When looking at the door seal on the frame of the vehicle with the driver side door open, it appears that the weld/shape is not completely smooth underneath the rubber as there's a "bump" instead of it running smooth like the other door side.
5. Similar "bump" in the rubber lining the far back passenger side rear window...you run your finger over it and it doesn't feel like the rubber is the problem but the metal underneath isn't smooth like it should be.
6. Tiny speck on the paint that is almost like a piece of salt got trapped under the clear coat...and it happens to be right on the front of the hood dead center and annoys me if I look for it in certain light.
7. Both red tow hooks have chips on them.
8. Small imperfection in the head liner right where the sunroof cut out is.

Overall, I'm probably the only person that would notice these and the truck looks great...but is this normal for Chevy or a new vehicle in general? I don't remember anything when I bought my last car (2014 Lexus IS 250).
Comparing what you describe to the Denali my wife received; I'd say this is normal. Previous GM's we've gotten had better paint but worse interior fit/finish.

OP
OP
R

rmsnickers

Reaction score
@WalleyeMikeIII thanks for the heads up on the hooks; I do think I'll wait a bit to see if these are prone to damage from regular driving before swapping them however I do like the idea of asking the dealer to do it if I buy from them. On the window trim, it's tough to see what can be done as it's not the rubber that is the problem...it is actually flush with the vehicle and it's the metal underneath that has the bump in it. Oddly enough, that's one I didn't notice until I washed the thing and my wife pointed it out.

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the Denali that I just bought appears to be flawless. That shit would annoy me. I really wanted to get a Z71 Tahoe, but the interior cabin quality was so much platic for $79K that I spent the extra $14 K for the GMC...

OP
OP
R

rmsnickers

Reaction score
Here are some more pics of the other things I mentioned in my original post:

1. First pic is irregular weld and if you look closely at the seal you can see that it varies in width as it follows door frame.
2. Second pic is lining/seal as it meets plastic on top of driver door
3. Third pic is irregular shape of seal on bottom left of trunk seal
4. Fourth pic is close-up of the drain hole from pic 3; you can see it looks to be torn.
5. Fifth pic is trunk lid/seal and plastic poking out from behind. This is after I tried to remove some with an exacto knife and scissors.

irregular seal and weld driver door.jpgdriver door inner seal.jpgtrunk seal deformity and drain hole.jpgdrain hole lower trunk.jpg
trunk lid.jpg

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can fix the second picture by running a plastic trim tool under the edge of the rubber door seal and it will pull up the edge of it so it's consistent.

Hatch seal looks defective. Dealer should replace that without question.

Hate to say it, but that scratch on the interior plastic won't be your last one no matter how clean you keep your rig. The interior plastics in the 3rd row/cargo area are all very soft and easily scratch. There's another thread on the forum discussing it.

Not to point out another flaw but it looks like you have the same residue on your 3rd row glass as mine did. Just up and to the left of your scratch there's a rectangle area of glue or something left behind from the factory. I spent some time with a razor blade and goo-b-gone to clean up mine.

OP
OP
R

rmsnickers

Reaction score
@StephenPT I'll take a look at the glass there, good catch. It might just be a reflection of something so will need to go look. I did wipe down the interior windows on all the doors yesterday and caught another issue; on the smaller window of the rear passenger door it looks like there's a problem with the tint. i could only see it with the door open and looking thru the glass at the outside light...it's like the tint didn't settle right and there's a big air bubble that is probably 2 inches long and a half inch wide (it looks like when you put a protector on your cell phone and you didn't get the air bubbles out). I tried cleaning inside and outside with no luck...another issue to raise at my local dealer I guess.

Can anybody comment on the dealer attitudes with this type of work? If I didn't buy my truck at my local dealer and I show up asking for fixes for this stuff does Chevy comp them or am I just a PITA?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% depends on the dealer. Some are good, many are not. If it’s warranty work they should take care of it regardless, but YMMV.

OP
OP
R

rmsnickers

Reaction score
Another day, another few quality issues. First two pics are the tint issue/air bubble on rear passenger window I described in an earlier post. 2nd set of pics is the dashboard on passenger side...air bags?

Attachments

• rear passenger window 2.jpg
    rear passenger window 2.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 13
  • rear passenger window.jpg
    rear passenger window.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 11
  • passenger dash 2.jpg
    passenger dash 2.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 12
  • passenger dash.jpg
    passenger dash.jpg