Question about Denali AWD same size tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard through the years that the GMT-800 Denalis and Escalades with full time AWD have to run tires the same size on all four corners. Does anyone else have more thorough knowledge of this? I'm curious if same size means diameter or weight or both? Are we talking instant explosion or gradual degradation of the AWD system or what?

Here's why I'm asking (and I'm ashamed to admit I only thought of it after all this time) - I switched to 24s a year or so back, and it just occurred to me this weekend that my spare is stock. My new tire size is 295/35-24. I'm wondering if I should get another single wheel like the set I bought and a tire the same size as what I'm running now. The other option would be that I have a few extra 22 inch wheels around and could get a 285/45-22 mounted, which is the same diameter according to the tire size calculators I've seen

OP
OP
willinnashville

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If diameter is the measurement I'm looking for, the 285/45-22 should be fine. If I'm looking for same weight at all four corners, that's not going to be the same

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weight is not AS MUCH of a concern, although it's better if the left front and the right front weigh the same, and the left rear and the right rear weigh the same.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same size. If they arent the same diameter, it is not an instant grenade. Something in the Tcase will give away if ran for a prolonged time with non matching DIAMETER tires. There is a little bit of wiggle room but not alot. Doesnt even matter if the rims arent the same diameter as long as the oddball tire has a huge aspect ratio to make up for it and is real close to the same diameter over as the others. I would not run unbalanced like this as a habit but for an emergency sure.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's good news, I can swing a 22 inch rim with a 285/45-22 way easier than buying another matching wheel and tire
You might want to give this some consideration. I had to lose my spare tire, in order to have the dual exhaust system that I wanted, so this is my insurance policy for an unexpected flat tire issue.

Tire Repair Kit.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
58caddy