Question? Battery gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

99TXhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I replaced my alternator in order to fix this problem but still trying to find the cause of this issue.

kaoticlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats exactly where mine sits at idle with a/c on full blast and mrk8 fan running, I have dual batteries and still get this. after speaking with the "tyf yoda" (sun) I am going to drop a 160 or higher alternator in.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
In you case I would actually put something larger with future upgrades you will easily consume a 200 amp unit. Mine is just an interim solution till more batteries and wiring and add ons go in. Even considering have a duel alt kit made.

stereodesigner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats exactly where mine sits at idle with a/c on full blast and mrk8 fan running, I have dual batteries and still get this. after speaking with the "tyf yoda" (sun) I am going to drop a 160 or higher alternator in.

Do you have the "big 3" done? Factory wiring is garbage sometimes

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys need to run a smaller alt pulley like I do. At idle it spins faster which makes it put out more power and it cools better.

kaoticlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys need to run a smaller alt pulley like I do. At idle it spins faster which makes it put out more power and it cools better.

which pulley and im guessing a change in belt size too?

and doing the big 3 this weekend the second battery already has big wire so just the stock wiring will be changed.

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which pulley and im guessing a change in belt size too?

and doing the big 3 this weekend the second battery already has big wire so just the stock wiring will be changed.

I'm curious to know about the pulley too b/c my voltage only drops when I'm at idle. Otherwise it stays in the high 13s to mid 14s. I just added a second battery and have the Big 3 done. Adding the second battery helped the voltage while I drive. I went on a one hour trip and it stayed at 14.2v the whole way, didn't move at all. But as soon as I slow down and idle, the volts go way down.

moviewithnotitle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my Hoe for over 10 years. At first, the Alt gauge in the dash was ok, and accurate. After time though it became unreliable.

2 summers ago I added dual batteries and did the Big-3 upgrade and some additional wiring and still no positive results. So I added an Auto-Lite Alt gauge and mounted it into the overhead console panel. This gauge is Totally accurate when now when checked against with a multi-meter. I ran extra wiring from the fuse panel under the hood up to the gauge and left it at that.

Basically after time the stock dash gauge for some reason becomes shit! It's happened to a lot of us on here. My hunch is that it's either in the harness somewhere and overtime it's been exposed to years of moisture and corrosion, or that the gauge has a bad resistor or similar part that just wears out and doesn't read the voltage as well anymore.

My vote is go for an additional gauge to compliment the dash gauge and you should be good.

MWNT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ne44035