Question for you towers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatsup guys ive never really towed anything with my kon but im planning on buying a 2002 z28 thats upstate NY and im going to tow it 6.5 hours back to jersey. i was just wondering do you guys just leave it in D on the highway? or do you leave it in 3? do you use the tow haul button for city driving? or is the tow haul button just a gag? i know the car isnt that heavy im just wondering whats the easiest way

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the truck is lugging or the trans is searching for gears, I downshift to 3!! Just matters what you are towing and where you are driving, but most of the time I tow in 3!!

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatsup guys ive never really towed anything with my kon but im planning on buying a 2002 z28 thats upstate NY and im going to tow it 6.5 hours back to jersey. i was just wondering do you guys just leave it in D on the highway? or do you leave it in 3? do you use the tow haul button for city driving? or is the tow haul button just a gag? i know the car isnt that heavy im just wondering whats the easiest way

For me, while towing and the engine does not need to work very hard (i.e. Freeway Crusing), I leave it in DRIVE.

If I climb/drive uphill and the truck seems like it could use more power, I use the "TOW HAUL BUTTON". The THB is designed for the transmission to shift differentyl during towing/having an additional load to carry/tow. It is not a gag and it does work, ....... at least for me.

The described usually works for me. Now there have been times depending on how steep of a hill I climb and how much load I am towing, that I shift into "3".

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Last edited:

dougk109

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
THB causes the trans to shift different, it shifts a little harder and less often. The hardest thing on the trans while towing (causing it to overheat) is constant shifting. So just try to keep the shifting to a minimum.

Splatmaster527

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ Exactly!! The less you shift the better!!

When I tow my tractor on a dual axle flat bed (~6,000lbs) Ill leave it in 2 in the city which helps keep you up in the power band at around 30-40mph and also helps you slow down a bit when you are stopping and going down hill which saves your brakes a little.
On the highway ill stick with D and TH button on a flat cruise and maybe drop into 3 if its hilly so it doesnt keep dropping between 3-4

Sometimes Cruise Control likes to be in 3 so its got the power to adjust your speed without dropping into lower gears all the time.

Sounds like with the load you plan on pulling D with TH button should be fine on the highway.

OP
OP
04SS99Denali

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the answers guys appreciate it. keep the advice coming theres never to much advice lol

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THB causes the trans to shift different, it shifts a little harder and less often. The hardest thing on the trans while towing (causing it to overheat) is constant shifting. So just try to keep the shifting to a minimum.

Agreed use the Tow/Haul and also if the transmission keeps shifting from 4th to 3rd leave it in 3rd. Speed kills too, the slower you go, the easier it will be on truck.
When is the last time you had the transmission fluid changed? Make sure you have good fluid.

Oh, I just looked at your screen name, and from that I would assume you have a Denali. My 06 has a transmission temp gauge, yours probably does to. You will be glad you have it when you are towing, just keep an eye on temps.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least invest in a bigger tranny cooler than the stock one, it's tiny!! Even if you don't tow all that often, it's still better for the longevity of your transmission!!

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i always tow in d with thb on. thb button raises the lines pressure causing harder shifts, it also locks up the torque converter. the torque converter is where most of the heat comes from. i towed my 1990 mustang on a HUGE trailer and my trans temps didnt get above normal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts