questions about power issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnsgonewild

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forum, although i have been reading the threads here for a while (lots of great knowledge contained within these threads:)) this will be my first post, so hello everyone!

OK... I have an 05 yukon (best ride ive ever had by the way) but I am having a slight issue with the electrical system... when the engine is running weather it be in idle or rolling and i roll the windows up or down the headlights dim (and the stereo is stock at the moment with no amps, so im not drawing any abnormal amount of juice) is this an alternator issue or what?

also I am in the process of putting an insane stereo system in and have purchased the optima yellow top battery and really want to upgrade my stock alternator to something better anyway.

Can anyone please suggest a superior alternator that will be compatible with the bolt pattern and wiring harness?

can anyone shed some light on my power or rather lack of power issue?

thanks in advance,

John from Texas

Cartwright

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should look into doing the "Big 3" upgrade. I know alot of trucks that have the same issue as you do and they are also stock.

Welcome to the forum!!

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM used very inefficient pwr window motors in these body style full size trucks. Because of this, the motors draw a lot of current to operate, more than most other vehicles. Upgrading the ground and power cables from your battery will help somewhat with the issue, but probably won't get rid of it.
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Texan, btw:cheers:

TEXAS DEMON

with a vengeance
Reaction score
http://www.powerbastards.com/?gclid=CPv_pb3l9p0CFdpb2godMxAgow
firts welcome to he forum.
second that link is exactly what you need, a ** (high output) alt. the battery no matter what you do will not help when youre truck is on, rember the alt is what keeps everything going while you are driving, so hhat should be youre first invest ment if you plan on having a loud system. you should also do the big three. you can google it and get a lot of info and pics. you tube also.
this is just a brief answer there is a lot that goes into consideration while building a audio set up. bet a least stsrt with the alt.

OP
OP
J

johnsgonewild

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks!

Excellent! Thanks for the warm welcome and all of the advice. Then that will be the project for today..... I am going to attempt the big three as well as upgrade my alternator. I have located a brand new bosch 150a for 167$ that seems good to me. I believe my stock alternator is pushing 105a, so the bosch will give me an added 50% current of what I am already running.

I thought it would be smart to take care of all of the power supply issues before I go and start adding multiple 1000 watt jl amps........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmarRa