Random Misfire after Overheating 2013Yukon Denali 6.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13UpInSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so about 2-3 months ago I ended up overheating my truck while driving around town. Cant believe I didnt see it but is what it is. Previously I have swapped the radiator, upper & lower hoses, heater hoses & bulk head connections, water pump, thermostat & full flush. When I did all of that I had one of the heater hose replacements with the Dorman metal/aluminum connections didn't seat correctly & wouldn't hold the seal so I swapped that one hose back to the stock with the intention of going back & fixing it later. Course that didn't happen & its what failed completely. So I get the truck back to the house limped it home with gallons of water & some hose crimps. Once I got the hose fixed correctly, refilled the cooling system & cleared the codes the truck will run fine but then every once in a while I will get a P0300 random misfire. Sometimes the trac & stability go off as well, the truck will shudder & run kinda ruff for a minute & then it goes back to normal & the check engine light goes off. I have done the head gasket check with pump & fluid thing that goes on the resevoir. Ive also pulled the plugs & checked gaps & looking for any impacts on them & they all checked out. Along with doing a compression test. All cylinders between 200-212 psi. What am I missing? Bent valve or push rod maybe or something else?? I'm stumped. Truck has about 150K on it.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is afm active? if so it possible with the over heat that the lifters aren't happy and one is sticky coming in and out of 4cyl?

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so about 2-3 months ago I ended up overheating my truck while driving around town. Cant believe I didnt see it but is what it is. Previously I have swapped the radiator, upper & lower hoses, heater hoses & bulk head connections, water pump, thermostat & full flush. When I did all of that I had one of the heater hose replacements with the Dorman metal/aluminum connections didn't seat correctly & wouldn't hold the seal so I swapped that one hose back to the stock with the intention of going back & fixing it later. Course that didn't happen & its what failed completely. So I get the truck back to the house limped it home with gallons of water & some hose crimps. Once I got the hose fixed correctly, refilled the cooling system & cleared the codes the truck will run fine but then every once in a while I will get a P0300 random misfire. Sometimes the trac & stability go off as well, the truck will shudder & run kinda ruff for a minute & then it goes back to normal & the check engine light goes off. I have done the head gasket check with pump & fluid thing that goes on the resevoir. Ive also pulled the plugs & checked gaps & looking for any impacts on them & they all checked out. Along with doing a compression test. All cylinders between 200-212 psi. What am I missing? Bent valve or push rod maybe or something else?? I'm stumped. Truck has about 150K on it.
Any smoke coming out of the tail pipe on first start up of the day?Is the coolant level dropping with no visible signs of a leak? Reason I ask is my wife overheated our Burb that eventually caused a head gasket failure that turned into a misfire on I believe was cyl 4. Coolant would leak slightly onto the plug overnight but would burn off when I started it in the a.m. I had the misfire code and the traction control lights and all that until the coolant would burn off. I did all the compression tests and coolant system test and everything came back fine. I guess because it was a slight leak. I ended up using the opportunity to do a DOD delete.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These Gen IV 6.2s are known for dropping a valve guide when they overheat. Usually cylinders 7 and 8.

I reckon the only way to check that is by camera.

OP
OP
13UpInSmoke

13UpInSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any smoke coming out of the tail pipe on first start up of the day?Is the coolant level dropping with no visible signs of a leak? Reason I ask is my wife overheated our Burb that eventually caused a head gasket failure that turned into a misfire on I believe was cyl 4. Coolant would leak slightly onto the plug overnight but would burn off when I started it in the a.m. I had the misfire code and the traction control lights and all that until the coolant would burn off. I did all the compression tests and coolant system test and everything came back fine. I guess because it was a slight leak. I ended up using the opportunity to do a DOD delete.
No no smoke & the coolant is staying at the same level

OP
OP
13UpInSmoke

13UpInSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These Gen IV 6.2s are known for dropping a valve guide when they overheat. Usually cylinders 7 and 8.

I reckon the only way to check that is by camera.
So would it still run ok with dropped valve guide? And am I sticking the camera in the spark plug hole or am I looking in like the intake runner?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Fless, get a good scanner on it.

Can it still have good compression with a dropped guide?

Kind of sounds like it might be electrical.. Plug wires? Dirty grounds?

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my camera, I think he means a bore scope.

I bought this one for home and use it more than I thought I would. I have one at work that costs way more but isn't nearly as useful.

you can go in thru the spark plug hole, and turn it up to look at the valves.