rattle coming from engine when A/C on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schwab

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious why it needs a new accumulator? The only thing I know of that could cause them to be bad is if it was leaking. I could be wrong though?

Fausto

Reaction score
Have the same problem on my Yukon... It doesn't do it all the time, only when I stop at a light or stop sign... Ima have someone take a look at it.

Chevyrida

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I seem to have the same problem. I wonder if its worth trying to get under there and replace the clutch bearing before paying for a whole new unit?

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine used to clunk, it was the clutches going out. if it gets bad enough like mine did, everytime u hear that pop, itll start snapping belts. i bought a complete ac unit(compressor, dryer, orifice tube, o-ring, etc) from ebay for like $225 and installed it myself. been wokring great and super quiet

tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine used to clunk, it was the clutches going out. if it gets bad enough like mine did, everytime u hear that pop, itll start snapping belts. i bought a complete ac unit(compressor, dryer, orifice tube, o-ring, etc) from ebay for like $225 and installed it myself. been wokring great and super quiet

I did the exact same thing haha, its been about 2.5 years and everythings good

terryt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am sorry for the grave digging, but I have the same problem as the OP. I have replaced the tensioner/belt,etc. My AC cools great until around 1600 RPMs you get the slap. Having been off work 6 months due to my health I am trying to figure this out myself.

Sooo, If I had a friend to reclaim/pump down the system, I could replace the orifice tubes(if I knew where they where), and install the inline filter like the TSB says, recharge system and roll on right?

Anyone have the TSB where it shows what inline filter? Anyone that had a working AC except for the slap, do the TSB or orifice tubes and it work?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the orifice tube is inside the the ac line on the passenger side of the motor, there a connection in the line at the orifice so u can open the line to get to it. but im not sure what you plan to acheive with a new orifice tube and/or filter. i didnt read the entire thread, but if your compressor is making noise, theres not much more u can do than just replace it

D is for DENALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap, just started doing this on the way back from our recent trip.

I'm just going to take off the belt so the wife doesn't accidently destroy anything else until I get a new compressor..... sucks cause I just had the ac serviced and didn't make noise then... im assuming its stock (180k) so its time..

I wish it did this in october!!! :biggun:Lol

I didn't have much to trouble shoot, I had changed both serpentine and ac belt kits, ac is the only thing left not replaced... shat!!!

Last edited:

D is for DENALI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the components are brand new...

After further inspection, I run the ac at idle, runs fine, so I had my kid get in the front and I jumped under the truck to see where the noise is coming from

It's coming from the tensioner at 1600 rpm, works fine at idle, but the tensioner is kinda jumping around and moving at idle, a light tugging action... then at 1600 rpm it bounces and squeals from this tugging..

Is this a bad, new tensioner, or is my problem still the compressor itself?

I have gates micro v serpentine kit and a gates ac belt kit with the gates hd green stripe belt... all installed in the last 3k miles...

It's the tensioner that's squealing and clacking or I'm mistaken and I'm watching the tensioner bounce around from the ac bearing not working properly.. I would love for it to be a bad tensioner!!! Lolz

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Queen_313