Rattle in the steering wheel after gravel road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DmitryGMT800

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
A metal rattle developed in the steering wheel/column in the cabin part during driving gravel roads at construction site. There are lots of gravel roads with fine bumps that make whole truck shake. I was driving slow but still got that rattle developed. I have changed the plastic bearing recently, and that helped to remove clunking in the steering column, but this rattle seems to be coming from the steering wheel assembly, or the gear switch. I can also feel slight movement in and out on the wheel...Is there anything that I should check to be tightened? Thank you!
2002 Tahoe 5.3 4wd / 400 000 km

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at the base of the column inside the cab, where the shaft enters is a bearing. they can fail over time and will rattle. you can reach under and grab the shaft, push it up and down side to side, if you feel play its left the chat. should you be changing it be careful, as its got some sharp edges and can cut you pretty easy. might want to wear gloves. theres vids on y/t showing the job. its pretty simple.

frank1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There's a coupling on the steering shaft about 6-8'' below the top of the steering wheel, you have to remove the plastic housing/trim below the wheel so you can see the steering shaft, you can get at the screws from/through that area, just turn the wheel to rotate the shaft to view the screws. That coupling has Allen headed set screws , them screws need to be snugged down a bit. This happened on my 04 Silverado 2500 hd, snugging the screws took care of the issue, if you tighten them too much the steering wheel will feel stiff to turn.

OP
OP
D

DmitryGMT800

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
at the base of the column inside the cab, where the shaft enters is a bearing. they can fail over time and will rattle. you can reach under and grab the shaft, push it up and down side to side, if you feel play its left the chat. should you be changing it be careful, as its got some sharp edges and can cut you pretty easy. might want to wear gloves. theres vids on y/t showing the job. its pretty simple.
Hello, do you mean green plastic one? If yes - I have changed it in November, last year, but I will double check it for sure, thank you. I also looking forward to removing the plastic cover below the steering wheel and check if there any loose parts. Will re-lube the intermediate shaft as well to see if it helps..

OP
OP
D

DmitryGMT800

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There's a coupling on the steering shaft about 6-8'' below the top of the steering wheel, you have to remove the plastic housing/trim below the wheel so you can see the steering shaft, you can get at the screws from/through that area, just turn the wheel to rotate the shaft to view the screws. That coupling has Allen headed set screws , them screws need to be snugged down a bit. This happened on my 04 Silverado 2500 hd, snugging the screws took care of the issue, if you tighten them too much the steering wheel will feel stiff to turn.
Hello, I will check this. Stiffening of the wheel a bit is OK, as steering wheel is veeery light to turn (however if got a bit stiffer after tightening the steering box nut) Thank you!

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, do you mean green plastic one? If yes - I have changed it in November, last year, but I will double check it for sure, thank you. I also looking forward to removing the plastic cover below the steering wheel and check if there any loose parts. Will re-lube the intermediate shaft as well to see if it helps..
yeah that green part. ive also heard of the intermediate shaft causing a rattle. if lubing it quiets it down, its likely work out.

frank1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

OP
OP
D

DmitryGMT800

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have removed the plastic covers of the steering wheel and located the 2 bolts. They were pretty snug. But I have tightened them just a bit. In the process I have broken the hazard lights button. I removed the switch by prying on the side wall of the housing and pulling upwards, then I have managed to glue the pieces together (do not lose small metallic pin that resides in the side of the button and allows to fixate the button)
Next I have removed and lubed intermediate steering shaft and got rid of some minor clunking on turns - this became an annual procedure for me)
At last I think I have located the source of my initial problem: there is a steering wheel lock pin that engages when key is removed. It rattles when turning wheel side to side when engaged. I think it may rattle during driving as well as the sound is very much the same. I tried to apply a bit of some thick grease but I doubt that it helps - the part is likely worn out and requires replacement which in turn would require removal of the steering wheel assembly, shifter, etc...
Anyways I will check the behavior on the gravel road and report back.
P.S. picture of the pin attached
Thank you for assistance.
Update will follow

Attachments

• 20240813_131756.jpg
    20240813_131756.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beniskickbutt