Reading lights stay on while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treborcj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2002 Chevy Tahoe Z71. I just bought this SUV and noticed that the reading lights are out. I opened them up and no light bulbs. I replaced the bulbs and they lit up. It seemed to turn off and on using the button while the vehicle was in acc mode. Later I went somewhere and noticed that the lights stay on. I press the button and nothing. Has anyone run into this issue? It does turn off after a while when I shut off the truck.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the rotary dial on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. It may just be in the fully on position. Alternatively, it may have gone bad. Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 12.00.25 PM.png

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ This first.

Or if they come on and stay on just when you shut off the truck, Retained Accessory Power (RAP) may be keeping them on. With the truck not running and the key out of the ignition, opening any door should turn off RAP. After closing the door the lights should extinguish within a minute.

Next time you go to shut it down leave/turn the radio on. Does the radio turn off when you open a door? If so, you're looking for a defective door latch, probably the driver's door.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 Tahoe Z71.
My interior lights would sometimes stay on, of I did not shut the door or liftgate hard enough. I think the door switches (or contacts) are sticky from lack of use or worn from from too much use... I just got it, so I have not learned where the switches are yet to inspect and see if any lubrication would help. For now, I have just been making sure I slam the doors/liftgate with decent amount of force.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good suggestions above that I was going to suggest as well. And I had an '02 Z71 and I miss it every f'ing day.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have an 04 Tahoe Z71.
My interior lights would sometimes stay on, of I did not shut the door or liftgate hard enough. I think the door switches (or contacts) are sticky from lack of use or worn from from too much use... I just got it, so I have not learned where the switches are yet to inspect and see if any lubrication would help. For now, I have just been making sure I slam the doors/liftgate with decent amount of force.

The door contacts are built into the latches. Start by lubricating the latches and exercising them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colton