Rear end or drive shaft near rear end making tinging and clinging noises!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97GT

Reaction score
So I was driving today and noticed a ping ting clang noise as I drive near the rear end. Nothing visual. Got underneath and tried to turn drive shaft little or no play. So it's gotta be either th u joints or something in rear end. Taking it to shop tomorrow. Anyone have an idea?

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which is it, little or no play?? There is a difference ... there should be no play. Did you check the pinion yoke?? Could be a bad outer bearing too ...

OP
OP
97GT

97GT

Reaction score
Fixed it!

So I got it back from the shop today and one of the needle bearings in the rear most u-joint burned up into dust. Also we found that the big pin holding all the spider gears had play. We checked the small pin that holds the big pin and that was finger tight. Oops! I was lucky to find this now before my rear end blew up. Looks like I'm gonna look into putting a tru trac detroit rear end in to make it stronger down the line. It's About 1000 to 1500 depending on what price I can find. Anyone got any better ideas. Let me know thnx

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wait, 1000-1500 for the trutrac? The unit itself is about 450-500 plus install

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T2003