Rear fuel tank strap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

COOl Adam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
have new gas tank straps for my 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71. The rear strap rusted off the truck. Now that I have the new rear strap and bolts, I cant get the dang thing on, It seems too short. I got the right part and matched the part numbers. I've jacked up the fuel tank and the bolt doesn't even come close to reaching the hole. Am I not jacking the tank up far enough? Are there any tips you can offer me? My mechanic says you have to remove the tank to new straps on!?!?!?

My ** has 190 k on it and I typically do all my repairs, this strap is giving me hell. I could modify it but don’t want to any suggestions would be great thanks for adding me.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any lines or wires that may have bunched up on top of the tank when the old strap broke off making it not go high enough to get the new strap to fit?

yukonoffroad27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine is being held in by a ratchet strap! :D I just bought it and am going to get it fixed asap but it seems to hold it pretty good lol!:grd:

OP
OP
COOl Adam

COOl Adam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@MrBalll Nothing in the way as far as I can tell. Its a tight space. So I spoke to a mechanic down where we gas up our company vehicles. He said they are a B**ch and when the rear rusts off they just drop the tank and replace both straps. So I'm going to take it there and see what happens and what they charge me. I'm sure I could do my self but I don't have time and need my truck for the weekend fishing trip. I got the straps new from GM too, probably shoulda went to auto zone and saved 50 bucks.:doh2:

I like that idea of the ratchet strap @yukonoffroad27 .

I'll keep you guys posted

THANKS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52