Rear lift gate glass hinge seperation?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's right. It's the top hinge that is giving away.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's right. It's the top hinge that is giving away.
Oh.... that makes a big difference. I’ve never seen the top hinges give way. That’s interesting. But I can see how they would because the 2004 they’re molded into the the trim piece just like the lift support hinges are:

D09596AD-7A82-4FEB-AAA7-0F894AE8F9D7.jpeg E020258C-54E6-43DD-927A-36CAE72B996B.jpeg
And the 2006 top hinges: DD3F9346-6514-48CA-B3F1-BCAAA7CE89E5.jpeg

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 258126 The "trim" is actually a structural urethane adhesive. Unfortunately, after a number of years of service, it can break away.

So, how is the hinge actually attached? Is that glass that it is attached to? Is the glass attached to a metal frame? What is that hole to the left of the hinge I see?

I have seen online many examples of this hinge giving away. Unless I can find a 2006 glass soon, I'll do another urethane repair.

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 258126 The "trim" is actually a structural urethane adhesive. Unfortunately, after a number of years of service, it can break away.

So, how is the hinge actually attached? Is that glass that it is attached to? Is the glass attached to a metal frame? What is that hole to the left of the hinge I see?

I have seen online many examples of this hinge giving away. Unless I can find a 2006 glass soon, I'll do another urethane repair.
I have no idea how the hinge is attached on the 2006 setup. There’s no metal frame that I can see. I’d guess it’s got adhesive right to the glass structure. All I know is that I was on my truck until a couple years ago when I swapped for an Escalade hatch and it never gave me any separation problems while it was mounted. Not like the other hatch. Anyways, the hole to the left you see is where the large black plastic trim that comes on every 2005 and 2006 tahoe, suburban, Yukon, and Yukon xl mounts. That’s where the screws go through the glass that mount that plastic piece. There’s three holes across the hatch just like the Escalade.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the glass hinges from 2000-2006 will fit those year suvs. However in 2005 the rear hatch changed. The older style has a trim surrounding the glass and those were the ones that were prone to the hinges separating from the glass. The 2005 and 2006 glass didn’t have the trim surround the glass and just had a small handled bolted through the glass at the base. Not sure how the hinge setup is different they’re not prone to separating like the older ones.
Edit: I just figured out why the hinges are different and why the 2005 style glass hasn’t separated. I’ll post a couple pics.

All the pictures from scrap yards of the 2006 seem to show the same glass used from 2002. I haven't found any 2006 to see yet.

So, I'm hearing that 2006 Tahoe/Yukon will fit. What about Suburban and Yukon XL? Can anyone confirm compatibility?

(I would expect so, but I've also learned to not expect in these matters.)

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the pictures from scrap yards of the 2006 seem to show the same glass used from 2002. I haven't found any 2006 to see yet.

So, I'm hearing that 2006 Tahoe/Yukon will fit. What about Suburban and Yukon XL? Can anyone confirm compatibility?

(I would expect so, but I've also learned to not expect in these matters.)
Nope glass changed in 2005. I see them driving around all the time and see the different style. So the junkyard you’re looking through doesn’t know the difference. Lol. And yes the glass hatches are interchangeable between tahoe, Yukon, suburban, and Yukon XL. They’re all the same mounting setup on the liftgate.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My passenger side hinge is still separated on my 2001. That glass has that hard rubber surround and the hinge is molded into it.

So you're saying glass from an '05-'06 is a direct swap onto the '01 and the hinges are mounted to the glass and not the rubber surround?

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw at a junkyard an 02 Escalade with the 05/06 glass. Must be true. The pictures look deceiving, but the 02-04 has a rubber flap glued to the top of the glass, the 05/06 has that plastic molding mounted to the glass. I'll see soon enough I suppose, when I find one.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My passenger side hinge is still separated on my 2001. That glass has that hard rubber surround and the hinge is molded into it.

So you're saying glass from an '05-'06 is a direct swap onto the '01 and the hinges are mounted to the glass and not the rubber surround?
For the third time!! Yes!! The glass from the 2005 and 2006 SUVs will fit directly onto an older SUV! Lol even though on the older glass the top hinges are integrated in to the trim they are still shaped exactly identical to the newer ones and the newer ones will match up the tailgate hinges on the older trucks. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hawkeye1