Rear Main Seal OEM or Felpro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Or you could get this which has both rear and front and the oil pan alignment bar, in case you ever have to do those.

LS Rear Main Seal Alignment Tool,Front Cover Alignment Tools & Oil Pan Front Cover Alignment Tool Kit for GM LS Engine 4.8 5.3 5.7 6.0 LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 L99 LS4 LS9 LSA LQ4 LQ9 L76 L92 https://a.co/d/f4aKZpM

OP
OP
D

diezelraccoon

Reaction score
Yes. Or you could get this which has both rear and front and the oil pan alignment bar, in case you ever have to do those.

LS Rear Main Seal Alignment Tool,Front Cover Alignment Tools & Oil Pan Front Cover Alignment Tool Kit for GM LS Engine 4.8 5.3 5.7 6.0 LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 L99 LS4 LS9 LSA LQ4 LQ9 L76 L92 https://a.co/d/f4aKZpM
Oil pan alignment bar? I’ve thought of replacing the oil pan seal while doing this but you have to align the oil pan?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil pan alignment bar? I’ve thought of replacing the oil pan seal while doing this but you have to align the oil pan?
If you ever rebuild an engine on the engine stand, to align the front main cover, that's when you use that alignment bar (oil pan hasn't been installed yet.) And there's a similar aluminum machined piece that centers the front cover, similar to the rear.

So to only replace the oil pan, no, you don't need that bar.

There's a PDF floating around on the specifications on rebuilding these engines, so you can see the process. Let me find the link and I'll post it here later...

Edit: Here you go:

It's for a 6.0, but really doesn't matter on procedures. Could be 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2.

OP
OP
D

diezelraccoon

Reaction score
If you ever rebuild an engine on the engine stand, to align the front main cover, that's when you use that alignment bar (oil pan hasn't been installed yet.) And there's a similar aluminum machined piece that centers the front cover, similar to the rear.

So to only replace the oil pan, no, you don't need that bar.

There's a PDF floating around on the specifications on rebuilding these engines, so you can see the process. Let me find the link and I'll post it here later...

Edit: Here you go:

It's for a 6.0, but really doesn't matter on procedures. Could be 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2.
For the rear main seal and gasket, would you recommend OEM or Felpro? I’m seeing a lot of folks use Felpro and say it’s better.

frank1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For the rear main seal and gasket, would you recommend OEM or Felpro? I’m seeing a lot of folks use Felpro and say it’s better.
That's like asking if one prefers blonde over red heads. I use both, whatever is available. The last one I did, It was felpro, like in the picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opieie

Latest posts