Rear QA1 Shock Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made the trip with the QA1's in the rear with the 3" djm drops springs, but I also had 2" drop spindles and decranked keys in the front. Here's the stance of my truck during the trip to TN on decranked keys and 2" spindles in the front, along with 3" djm drop springs in the rear:

On the way back to San Antonio we stopped in Dallas and loaded up a T56 in the back. This coupled with the 40-year old bench vise that I picked up from my father in TN had the Tahoe's rear sagging pretty bad. I put in a set of 1" spring spacers temporarily to help with the stance and it did fine then. Despite this, it was a great ride in the rear for being low.

The ride is stiffer than I want in the front when driving slow than I want, but that's my fault because I need to trim my jounce stops in the front. The only problem then will be that i'm still on stock shocks in the front and I'm over 170k miles. I think I'll change out the front shocks when I do a coilover conversion in the front.

Basically same set up as me, sort of. But in essence same. Might have to look into those for mine, if you say the ride was pretty good from TX to TN. Seeing as i just had 6 people in mine and i need to really re-configure my shocks. No rebound to them for softer ride. Not jar bumpy, but needs some work.

Do you plan on changing the front out to QA1's? Would be curious to see how that rides.

I wonder if it would ride even better with a bigger side wall. I have 50 sidewall.

OP
OP
D

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
Do you plan on changing the front out to QA1's? Would be curious to see how that rides.

Yes, I'm going to change the front to single-adjustable QA1 coilovers using atomic's conversion kit. When I do the coilover conversion I'll be able to increasing the travel by replacing the jounce stops with true bump stops, which should help improve the ride quality too.

I wonder if it would ride even better with a bigger side wall. I have 50 sidewall.

My 255/45R18 tires have a 4.5" tall sidewall. Based on my experience, a larger sidewall should provide a better quality ride. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RossHashanah007