Rear taillight mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

romakdaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I couldnt find a thing anywhere for this potential mod but was wondering if it has been done or is possible....
On 99 to 2006 GMT800 models the turn signal is always amber...except escalade the entire lens minus the backup lens is red. the light is not wired for anything except turn signals except once again the esky has taillight wired on both bulbs(brake and turn). My question is, is it possible to make it so the brake and turn signal bulbs burn when you apply the brake and also when you turn the signal on like the old school cars with combined function?

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldnt find a thing anywhere for this potential mod but was wondering if it has been done or is possible....
On 99 to 2006 GMT800 models the turn signal is always amber...except escalade the entire lens minus the backup lens is red. the light is not wired for anything except turn signals except once again the esky has taillight wired on both bulbs(brake and turn). My question is, is it possible to make it so the brake and turn signal bulbs burn when you apply the brake and also when you turn the signal on like the old school cars with combined function?
And, why do you want this? Also, there are after market tail lenses only red & clear ( for reverse)

OP
OP
R

romakdaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And, why do you want this? Also, there are after market tail lenses only red & clear ( for reverse)
I ordered a set of red/clear taillights that take stock sockets and as it sits the brake lights and turn signals will work seperately, I would like them to work together so both bulbs blink with the signal and both bulbs burn on the opposite side for brake lights like they used to back in the 80s 90s if that makes sense.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a set of red/clear taillights that take stock sockets and as it sits the brake lights and turn signals will work seperately, I would like them to work together so both bulbs blink with the signal and both bulbs burn on the opposite side for brake lights like they used to back in the 80s 90s if that makes sense.
Uh,... I think you are over thinking it..... ( Unless you want to get rear-ended )

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is possible. You are going to have to look at the brake circuit and know it's behavior and the turn signal circuits to look at their behavior. Then you are going to have to wire the brake bulbs into the turn signal circuit and the brake bulbs into the turn signal circuit. And you'll have to isolate them from both working at the same time and blowing the bulbs.

A potential, additional solution is to add wiring for a second socket at each position, plugged into brakes or turn signals as appropriate. Since the 2 circuits will never touch, you won't have to worry about isolating them. But this may require modding the tail light housings to fit 2 bulbs in each position.

As others have said before, anything is possible if you spend enough time and money.

OP
OP
R

romakdaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion studying the schematics that combination by simple wiring modification is not possible due to circuit design. In the old days it was handled by the turn signal switch and not possible without electronic intervention. I will use a trailer adapter to achive my goal. The main reason I want this it the taillights I bought would look really nice lighting the way I desire.and to add I was behind a gmt900 yesterday and noticed both bulbs burn when the signal was on (both meaning on the same taillight) heres a pic of my new tails...received_848789400516880.jpeg

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It occurs to me that this might could be handled by a couple of relays and a capacitor. The capacitor would be used to limit the amount of current the lights can get. The relays would only trigger when the associated circuit carried power. But my electric knowledge is a little fuzzy; it's probably a little more complicated than this.

OP
OP
R

romakdaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It occurs to me that this might could be handled by a couple of relays and a capacitor. The capacitor would be used to limit the amount of current the lights can get. The relays would only trigger when the associated circuit carried power. But my electric knowledge is a little fuzzy; it's probably a little more complicated than this.
I found two possible solutions studying the diagram. I discovered theres a brake/turn left and right coming from the accessory center to the trailer connector, i could tie that into the taillights to make them combined but disconnecting the existing brake light and turn signal wire could cause fast flashing and warning lights. The other solution is quite simple I believe....just wire a trailer light converter inline before the tailligts and connect the brake and turn wires to the output of the converter. I got a converter today and will attempt it later and maybe do a write up if its successful.20240816_124021.jpg20240816_124007.jpgScreenshot 2024-08-16 112149.jpgScreenshot 2024-08-16 112048.jpg

OP
OP
R

romakdaddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
sorry for the long response time but I nailed it... it was simple as splicing the turn signal wires and brake wires into the trailer turn/brake wires. I now have combined brake and turn signals like old school (and new school too) I noticed some newer gm pickups work the same. hard to tell from the pics its a before and after. made a video but cant seem to insert it. In a nut shell its easy and no extra parts needed.

20240816_170218.jpg20240816_170155.jpg20240816_181700.jpg20240816_182023.jpg20240816_182314.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtdelta