Rear wiper problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowturtle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm having an issue with the rear wiper on my '03 Yukon XL that I can't find an answer to by searching this forum. The rear wiper quit working with the switch but works fine when pressing the switch to use the squirter so I know the motor works. I replaced the switch in the dash and it still does the same thing. Is there a relay somewhere that controls the intermittent settings?
Thanks.

nuc_meltdown

Reaction score
OP
OP
S

Snowturtle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks,
I'll go check it out…

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

So I have my whole car torn apart - every wire, connector, and fuse seems to be fine. The wiper motor works fine in the wash function, just not the two speed settings labelled 1 & 2 on the switch. I see in a wiring diagram that there should be a circuit breaker #9 somewhere that I can't find. Is there another block other than the main fuse block on the side of the dash, the one under the dash by the parking brake, and the big one under the hood? Also, I see something labeled Rear Window Motor Speed Signal that looks like it may be in the motor, could that be the problem? Replace the motor to rectify that?
Thanks

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im having the exact same problem. i was planning on looking into it this coming weekend. you saved me from tearing into all the fuses. I doubt the motor itself is the issue since it works with the washer fluid function. but there could be something in the motor that isnt reading when the wiper function is enabled. have you check for power at the motor when the switch is on? that will tell you where to start searching for your problem.

OP
OP
S

Snowturtle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, I didn't get that far before dark. There is a flat black plastic box attached to the motor that I'm guessing contains a circuit board. I'm assuming/hoping that is where to find the Rear Window Motor Speed Signal that I saw in the wiring diagram. Not sure when I'm going to get to take out the motor and check it all out.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't use mine because the wiper scratches the glass. Look at your rear glass in the sunlight.

Last edited:

NW94Z

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You guys ever figure this out? I have the exact opposite problem. The stalk wiper switch works the rear wiper but the wiper/ washer switch on the console is not working. The switch won't even light up when i press it.

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I had read elsewhere that it was possibly a ground issue with the motor? Mine has stopped working on my 04 LT as well. Haven't had any time to dig into it though.

OP
OP
S

Snowturtle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine turned out to be shorted out connections and a broken wire where the wires come out of the car above the back door. I don't know what got them so hot but they were melted. The gray wire is the one that controls the wiper motor.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy