Remote start works using key fob, but start button doesn’t.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheMaineEvent

Reaction score
Need some help here. I’m down to one key fob that I reprogrammed via the Tahoe, took 30 minutes, and I’m running into some issues.

I can remote start the Tahoe using the fob, but the Tahoe won’t let me press the brake and start button to drive it. It says I need key fob 1, which means my fob is considered fob 2. I can use the radio, and Bluetooth, but that’s it. I can’t get the vehicle to recognize the fob by putting it in the slot in the arm rest nor can I get the reprogramming program to work again (insert emergency key into door and turn left 5x)

The fob has a new battery and I bought a new vehicle battery today.

It let me use the fob to drive to a restaurant so I thought all was well, but when I went to leave I couldn’t unlock the drive function so I ubered home. I opened the hood and disconnected the battery to see if I could rest the system, but to no avail.

The Tahoe did ask for another key fob if that matters.

Any thoughts on how to get the Tahoe to let me reprogram the fob again or any other ideas?

UPDATE: I'm sure that the theft deterrent system has locked me out and is the reason why I can’t press the brake and use the start button.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geezzzz.... That is sure frustrating.

I cannot personally assist you with your issue, but other members of this Forum much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

OP
OP
TheMaineEvent

TheMaineEvent

Reaction score
I spoke to a Chevy dealership manager. He said I messed up the reprogramming process on my key fob which triggered the theft deterrence. When it didn’t get reset the Tahoe thinks it’s stolen so now the only what to fix it is to have it towed to the dealership to have them unlock the computer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
resmith3