Maybe not all 6.2's have the bad lifter bore/ bearing wear issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
That's not how I read it. It says only vehicles with an Open Vehicle History Screen are affected. It also says certain vehicles are affected, not all. Also read Engines used for replacement must be specially ordered by dealerships and allocated to specific VIN numbers. No way every 6.2L is involved. People have already called with their VIN and told they are not affected. You will get a letter from GM if you are.....

Gm doesn't know which vehicles do, and which vehicles don't, have a defective engine. This is a "fix it if symptoms appear" type TSB. They can't publish an "Affected Vins" listing, because they simply don't know which vehicles are affected, but the TSB covers everything they put the truck 6.2 in for all three badges (Chevrolet, GMC and Cadillac).

So there is a 100% chance that if you call GM and ask "is my VIN affected" they will say no unless you've already taken your truck in to get the engine replaced because its locked up beforehand.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In other words, if it ain't broke, GM won't fix it.
Is there a clever way to artificially induce the specific failure mode / symptoms intentionally? ... ?

OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
In other words, if it ain't broke, GM won't fix it.
Is there a clever way to artificially induce the specific failure mode / symptoms intentionally? ... ?

Not that I can think of and you really wouldn’t want to do that anyway.

If your engine is good, leave it be. Changing out an engine involves taking a lot of other stuff apart.

Dealership techs get payed based on book time. So if the book says it takes 3 hrs to do a job, they get paid 3 hours of their hourly rate. If they rush through , do a half *** job, don’t bother to actually torque anything ( just use an impact driver on everything) and get that 3 hour job done in 1 hour, they still get paid for 3 hours. So if you can get four of those 3 hour book time jobs done in 1 hour each, congratulations you just got paid for 12 hours work and you only spend four hours doing it.

The dealership management knows this and often pays them less per hour because they know they’ll just rush through everything. Some dealers limit the techs to 12 hours pay per day, so those guys just leave a noon after they’ve rushed through 12 hours of book time work in the morning.

Long explanation saying you’d much rather have an engine that was installed on the assembly line with all the coorectly calibrated tools than one that was rush installed and had stuff bent out of the way instead of removing it by a dealer tech.

Flugzeugfuhrer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For our new $90K car, I decided to change the oil at 500 miles, then again at 3K miles and then again at 6k miles to get rid of any break-in metals before starting a regular oil change interval routine.

Because of all the issues the 6.2's in Tahoes, Yukons and Escalades seem to be having, I decided to send a sample of the oil that ran from 3K to 6k miles off to be analyzed. Figured if the engine was tearing itself apart, there would be evidence of it in a used oil analysis.

I'm hoping I got the one good 6.2 that managed to sneak its way out of the factory. I'll probably continue to do oil analysis every other, or maybe every third, oil change just to keep an eye on it, but so far it's not the kiss of death.

View attachment 428856
2020 6.2L Denali XL with oil changes every 7k-7.5k miles - heresy to some people here:) Over 100k miles, no issues, Blackstone analysis after every oil change and notes to keep doing what I'm doing.

TKOd Silverado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2024 Silverado 5,622 miles, engine let go, dealer is ordering a new engine.

Has the lifter/bearing issue been resolved in the replacement engines? I'm on the fence as to whether I want to take the chance and keep the truck or cut bait and trade it on a 3.0 Duramax. I've read a couple horror stories of engines letting go, dealer changing them out, and the replacement engine letting go shortly after installation, and I don't want to deal with it as I mainly use the truck to pull my boat on a 390 mile round trip several times a summer. It'd totally suck to have it let go on I-495 around DC during rush hour on the way home from the Bay. I'm just glad this one let go around 25 miles from home on the way to the Bay instead of waiting until we got 150 miles down the road.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... on the fence as to whether I want to take the chance and keep the truck or cut bait and trade it on a 3.0L Duramezzo.
I've read a couple horror stories of engines letting go, dealer changing them out, and the replacement engine letting go shortly after installation ...
How many of these horror stories involve any GM turbodiesel engines?

Johncunningham

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ll chime in.

2023. Premier. 6.2. 22k miles. Driving yesterday afternoon 65mph ish. Screen goes black. Engine dead. Coasted to a stop. Dipstick looked fine. When we pulled the oil fill cap, an actual puff of Smoke came out. Had it towed to the nearest dealer. Got to google the transmission disconnect nonsense with the driver on the side of the road to get it there.

Of course we were 300 miles from home. They had a diagnosis in 5 minutes. Thrust bearing failure. Another word for Crankshaft bearing?

In any event I’m waiting to hear that the warranty claim is approved.

Also, worth repeating from upthread. It was completely free of drama. One moment cruising. Next moment dead. No shimmy. No shake. No crunch. No shudder. No loss of power. No smoke. No steam. No sound. Just dead…

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I have a diesel, I am somewhat of a disinterested 3rd party, but as a general question are the 5.3 engines exhibiting any all or some of the same issues lifters or thrust bearings, of the 6.2? If you were buying one today, and you had a choice, would you take a 5.3 over a 6.2? Or is there really no difference and they are all a crapshoot.......

TKOd Silverado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How many of these horror stories involve any GM turbodiesel engines?
zero that i've read about but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened; i was referring to the 6.2L with that statement.

talked to dealership this morning and he was going on about their specific dealership having no issues like this from any they've sold but mine. when i called monday a week ago, the service manager told me when the mechanic came to get his next job, mine, that he asked what engine was in it and when told 6.2L he said he didn't need to look at it, go ahead and order an engine. he did, however, pull the oil filter and it was loaded with metal.

Last edited:

TKOd Silverado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, worth repeating from upthread. It was completely free of drama. One moment cruising. Next moment dead. No shimmy. No shake. No crunch. No shudder. No loss of power. No smoke. No steam. No sound. Just dead…
same here, was cruising on an upgrade on the interstate and truck shut down. no notice, no light, no nothing, just shut down, drifted to side of road and called tow truck. tow truck driver told me i was his THIRD 2024 GM pickup he picked up that day, all of them just shutting down with no warning.

i'm working dealer to find me a diesel and give me a hell of a deal, but not looking too promising with them. i've found better deals online. i told him he made good money when he sold me that one 8 months ago and i didn't expect him to take a loss, but they need to take care of me on this one. he agreed, but that was simply the saleman coming out of him, i think.

It'd be nice to find out whether GM has resolved this lifter issue, or no. based on what i've read, the lifter valleys are oversized which causes the cam to whipe then the mains to go out, then you find yourself sitting along the road with an imploded engine.