Remove & Replace Fuel Pump???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanielP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What did you use to cut the access hole?

Edit: NM, I see you already said what you did.

OP
OP
M

ManxManiac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On mine, I used my sabre/jig saw!!! Drilled holes about every 4" & "connected" the dots!!! LOL However, on the second one, I used a "cut-off" blade on my 4" grinder!!! I put about a dozen speaker magnets around the rear floor area I was working with & did short quick cuts so it didn't get as hot & the magnets caught all of the fine metal from the cut!!! Much faster & cleaner looking & easier to seal back up!!!

OP
OP
M

ManxManiac

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Amazing... I have now done a total of 12 fuel pump replacements on GMC Yukon / Chevy Tahoes "without" dropping the fuel tank! It is so easy! The last one I did a week ago, from start to finish, only took 46 minutes!!! As I said before, it takes longer to get the pad & carpet out of the way! LOL I cut a much smaller hole than I did on mine too! On the last 6 Delphi fuel pumps, a local auto parts store finally gave me a better discount (since I've bought so many there) & they are only $105.00 each! All of the folks have wanted to give me more, but I'm only accepting $150.00 for my labor! One neighbor decided he'd rather have a local shop do his & the total was $825.00!!! One month later, the "non-Delphi" pump quit working & when he had it towed to the shop, they said the replacement pump wouldn't cost anything, but the labor was $500.00!!! Needless to say he told me if it goes out again he wants me to do it!!! LOL
So if your Yukon or Tahoe's fuel pump goes out, don't be afraid of "doing it from the inside"!!!

BladeMaker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can take pictures with measurements if anyone here still needs it. I cut an access hole about 9 months ago. 97 Yukon 4 door.
Just two 10" long slices in the carpet rear drivers side right under the seat. Fold up carpet. Then I cut the three sides of the floor panel with a zip disc. Folded back the floor panel, replaced the pump and just folded the panel back into place. Then of course sealed it up nice and tight. Roll the carpet back down and voilà. Can't even tell its there. And if you know where to cut its almost like it's made for an access panel, the way the floor steel is formed and bent. Nice and neat. I remember it took me a good half a day to find pics to reference with mine to figure out exactly where to cut. And it took all of 10 minutes to actually cut my panel. . If I can save anyone some time by posting pics or measurements just let me know. I don't want to take the time to do it unless someone here would actually find it useful. So if anyone needs it let me know. If you cut the panel you also have the advantage of being able to change out your fuel pump screen really easily. That really saves the pump in the long run. I change mine once a year. $6 screen better than a $200 pump. The fuel pump screen is upstream of the fuel filter so it really takes the first hit of any gunk that may be in your tank or fuel. Pump has to work harder and burns out sooner. At least in my experience. If I change the fuel filter, I change the fuel screen at the same time. Once a year roughly. But when I changed my pump I never did clean out the tank. I should have. Oh well. Come to think of it my old pump had actually fallen apart in the tank and was missing one of the spring loaded rods. Presumably it's in the tank still. I should really get that out of there. Funny how things slip your mind.

benski

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can take pictures with measurements if anyone here still needs it. I cut an access hole about 9 months ago. 97 Yukon 4 door.
Just two 10" long slices in the carpet rear drivers side right under the seat. Fold up carpet. Then I cut the three sides of the floor panel with a zip disc. Folded back the floor panel, replaced the pump and just folded the panel back into place. Then of course sealed it up nice and tight. Roll the carpet back down and voilà. Can't even tell its there. And if you know where to cut its almost like it's made for an access panel, the way the floor steel is formed and bent. Nice and neat. I remember it took me a good half a day to find pics to reference with mine to figure out exactly where to cut. And it took all of 10 minutes to actually cut my panel. . If I can save anyone some time by posting pics or measurements just let me know. I don't want to take the time to do it unless someone here would actually find it useful. So if anyone needs it let me know. If you cut the panel you also have the advantage of being able to change out your fuel pump screen really easily. That really saves the pump in the long run. I change mine once a year. $6 screen better than a $200 pump. The fuel pump screen is upstream of the fuel filter so it really takes the first hit of any gunk that may be in your tank or fuel. Pump has to work harder and burns out sooner. At least in my experience. If I change the fuel filter, I change the fuel screen at the same time. Once a year roughly. But when I changed my pump I never did clean out the tank. I should have. Oh well. Come to think of it my old pump had actually fallen apart in the tank and was missing one of the spring loaded rods. Presumably it's in the tank still. I should really get that out of there. Funny how things slip your mind.
I've got a '97 that just got ahold of me; no maintenance records...Yikes. I'd love to have some photos and dimensions from the next one of these that you do.

trevcda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's also worth noting that you may not even have fuel pump warranty, unless you replace the fuel filter at the same time. Read the fine print on the fuel pump box. A good parts house will know this and point it out, but are certainly not required to know or impart this knowledge. You would think they would just include a six dollar part with the fuel pump!

trevcda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can take pictures with measurements if anyone here still needs it.

Honestly I think a good tutorial on this should be made a sticky. I wish I'd known six months ago before I paid a mobile mechanic to do this work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcaphou