What tools/tool combos worked best from removing upstream O2 sensors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two fresh Corporate Motors upstream O2 sensors headed my way, and am looking for trusty advice on which tools worked the best to get them out. I took a peek under her skirt and the locations of the bungs aren't mirrored, so one method of removal might not work as well.... ?

Anyways, if you're still thinking about skirts and bungs, shame on you.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Zero luck meaning could not get a tool on them or got a tool on them and could not turn? Did you use penetrant the night and morning before?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
02 sensor socket and/or crows foot, if it is awd/4wheel drive then the drivers side sensor 1 is not fun at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zero luck meaning could not get a tool on them or got a tool on them and could not turn? Did you use penetrant the night and morning before?

I've been soaking them for the last few days in preparation.

I tried using an offset O2 sensor socket. It fit on the sensor perfectly, but I couldn't get a ratchet or breaker bar on it with enough leverage.

I don't have a long 7/8th wrench in my possession for some weird reason, but I'm going to pick some long-handled wrenches up from Harbor Freight tomorrow.

All the videos I've seen only show the downstream O2 sensors removed, but say it's the same process for the upstream.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been soaking them for the last few days in preparation.

I tried using an offset O2 sensor socket. It fit on the sensor perfectly, but I couldn't get a ratchet or breaker bar on it with enough leverage.

I don't have a long 7/8th wrench in my possession for some weird reason, but I'm going to pick some long-handled wrenches up from Harbor Freight tomorrow.

All the videos I've seen only show the downstream O2 sensors removed, but say it's the same process for the upstream.
once you get it broke loose it should be easy, then the last part of tightening up the new one is a smidge turn at a time on the drivers side.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
probably not there is no room under there with a front diff in the way, you can use a cheater bar if you get it angled just right, I use about a 13" 1.5" piece of galvanized pipe

Well, he was talking about getting longer wrenches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andraliahlee