Replace carpets in 2006 Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbodnar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys, new to this forum. Just picked up a 2006 Yukon XL. Only problem with it is a slight smell of gas which I'm pretty sure is in the carpets. Had it back to the dealer and not really having much luck with that. So thinking about replacing the carpets myself. Never done anything like that before. Wondering if anyone has some good links for doing this project. Diagrams, tools needed, videos would be great. Any and all info will be welcomed.

Thanks for the help

Chris

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey brotha, check on my interior thread for my project to finish in about a month. My molded carpet gets here today so I'll hit you back on this thread and let you know how it goes.

ACC is a company that makes molded carpet for almost any vehicle. I found ACC molded carpet cheap at stockinteriors.com and it's the same carpet as some of the other sites that offer ACC carpet at a premium cost. There are alot of options for the carpet, for example, I ordered plush pile after seeing the samples. It's really thick and should work very well for the look I'm going for.

If you want to get really fancy, you can look into the wool carpet they make for Mercedez Benz which is a very short and thick carpet that doesn't mat as easily, search Google for Wilton Wool replacement carpet. It's referred to as Import carpet, whereas cut pile is generally referred to as Domestic. Reasons are due to the obvious..wilton wool is found in imports and pile in domestic.

Hope that helps...

B O S S

Yuk_Nali_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried to clean/shampoo the carpet? Unless its totally trashed with stains, I can't imagine replacing the carpet just because it has a smell. Some of the other guys will be able to tell you what to clean it with.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
remove all interior panels you can, and let the carpet set out in the heat and sun for as long as you can. Makes it softer, easier to install and mold.
I'd like to do all mine next spring as well. Not that it's bad, but new sure looks better.

OP
OP
C

cbodnar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dealer finally admitted that the amount of gas they spilled in the vehicle was significant. They have agreed to replace the carpet. So hopefully this will resolve the issue. I'll keep you guys posted. I appreciate the replies. Wish my Denali was a sweet as some of the ones I see here. Maybe some day.

Chris

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, but what were they doing that caused gas to spill in your truck and all over the carpet???

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As promised, here's an update. Pay the extra money for the thicker backing on the carpet! It doesn't look bad per se, but I'm gunna have a helluva time molding this carpet down "flat" with a heat gun - there's hardly any backing to work with when you don't buy the mass backing option. I might sell this black carpet for a loss and buy a new set...very frustrating.

B O S S

Blkout02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BOSS any knowlegde on what to buy for just a plain black carpet and where to get it?

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BOSS any knowlegde on what to buy for just a plain black carpet and where to get it?

You can buy raw carpet by the yard from stockinteriors.com. They offer samples of any color you want to check out too, they will send you their pile, plush pile or nylon as samples too.

I picked up a little extra carpet, I have to redo the door panel carpet to match my interior mod.

BOSS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greene9525