Replacing BLOSE speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aztecnavajo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've searched high and low and have yet to find a concrete answer, most posts I've seen had been highjacked before they could be answered. And others are more geared towards replacing the actual HU which I have already done. I have an '03 Yukon XL with the factory Blose system. I've already replaced the factory HU with a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX and I wanted to know what was the best route for replacing the stock speakers, would I need to replace the factory amp? Are there any aftermarket speakers that work well with the factory amp? I'm not necessarily an audio expert, so I'm seeking advice. I'm looking for a tad bit more bass, but I'm looking for more clarity at higher volumes, as you go up in volume, the speakers start to roll and sound horrendous. Thanks!

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say: at higher volumes, as you go up in volume, the speakers start to roll and sound horrendous.

You can thank the underpowered and imo poorly wired Bose system for this - especially if you have added an aftermarket HU.

I will tell you what I did just to spruce up my tunes. I honestly don't think you'll get much better sound by adding new speakers, imo the BOSE system is a hinderance to good sound. You may get decent sound and if thats what you want go for it.

I recommend (this is most cost effective and easiest way to better sound imo)

I have an Alpine HU - since you have an after market HU we will skip that suggestion

#1 Do the Bose amp bypass - very easy to do (basically it is running your speaker wires from before your amp to your new HU its a basic splice job. This takes your Bose out of the picture.

#2 If you don't want to run an amplifier wires etc - add an Alpine Powerpack, it delivers good clean power and makes a noticeable difference (its nearly plug n play with your HU - plug n play with Alpine HU) it hides in your dash behind your HU *** This step is crucial to better cleaner and louder sound.

#3 Add 4 new Door speakers - I bought (coax speakers) Polk 651s for all 4 doors Ive posted pics on how easy and how well they fit (just search my older posts) These sound good and are priced great

#4 Unhook A pillar tweeters and your rear pillar speakers (why because they are run parallel with your front and rear door speakers and drop your resistance in a way that actually plagues your sound quality. You're 4 new door speakers with extra power will be enough.

This in a nutshell will give you very good sound with very little effort and headache - will you win stereo competitions... No but you will have a lot better sounding system than the Bose crap imo.

I went this route and people cannot believe it - I did go the extra mile and added a sub under my rear seat (Q-Logice GM enclosure with a 10" sub and powered it with 300 watts from an Rockford mono amp...nothing special)

I did my friends set up this way (without a sub... he doesn't care about a sub) and he couldn't be happier.

This is just one of many ways to improve your system.

FYI - just so you know I can go to very high volume with clean crisp sound - what I think you are looking for.

Last edited:

Tahoebigdog03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say: at higher volumes, as you go up in volume, the speakers start to roll and sound horrendous.

You can thank the underpowered and imo poorly wired Bose system for this - especially if you have added an aftermarket HU.

I will tell you what I did just to spruce up my tunes. I honestly don't think you'll get much better sound by adding new speakers, imo the BOSE system is a hinderance to good sound. You may get decent sound and if thats what you want go for it.

I recommend (this is most cost effective and easiest way to better sound imo)

I have an Alpine HU - since you have an after market HU we will skip that suggestion

#1 Do the Bose amp bypass - very easy to do (basically it is running your speaker wires from before your amp to your new HU its a basic splice job. This takes your Bose out of the picture.

#2 Don't want to run an amplifier wires etc - add an Alpine Powerpack, it delivers good clean power and makes a noticeable difference (its nearly plug n play with your HU - plug n play with Alpine HU) it hides in your dash behind your HU *** This step is crucial to better cleaner and louder sound.

#3 Add 4 new Door speakers - I bought (coax speakers) Polk 651s for all 4 doors Ive posted pics on how easy and how well they fit (just search my older posts) These sound good and are priced great

#4 Unhook A pillar tweeters and your rear pillar speakers (why because they are run parallel with your front and rear door speakers and drop your resistance in a way that actually plagues your sound quality. You're 4 new door speakers with extra power will be enough.

This in a nutshell will give you very good sound with very little effort and headache - will you win stereo competitions... No but you will have a lot better sounding system than the Bose crap imo.

I went this route and people cannot believe it - I did go the extra mile and added a sub under my rear seat (Q-Logice GM enclosure with a 10" sub and powered it with 300 watts from an Rockford mono amp...nothing special)

I did my friends set up this way (without a sub... he doesn't care about a sub) and he couldn't be happier.

This is just one of many ways to improve your system.

FYI - just so you know I can go to very high volume with clean crisp sound - what I think you are looking for.

That's pretty much what I did also, I just went with a pioneer H/U 4 new pioneer 3-way 6.5 in the doors, two amps one for the highs one for the two 12's behind the 3rd row......On a side note the bose amp was a major headache when it failed trying to figure out what was going on.
Good luck

Coatwolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I did also, I just went with a pioneer H/U 4 new pioneer 3-way 6.5 in the doors, two amps one for the highs one for the two 12's behind the 3rd row......On a side note the bose amp was a major headache when it failed trying to figure out what was going on.
Good luck

Cool man - Bose is a headache - Bypass it lol:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap