Replacing front struts etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FloridaMan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping for some expertise from the community!

I have aftermarket strut/spring assemblies on my 2012 yukon denali xl. I want to go completely back to stock. I found the appropriate struts but also want to replace the rest of the assembly. What are all the components I need to do this? strut mount, spring, strut… anything else? Im hopeful I can find a shop to compress the spring for me as I value my life but want to be sure I have all the right equipment for them.

Thank you!

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced front struts on my '13. I went aftermarket because I didn't want to have to deal with getting the assembly put together (or try it myself and risk losing an appendage). I'm pretty sure stock you have to buy all the components separately, but I think you have them correctly listed: strut, spring, and strut mount.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping for some expertise from the community!

I have aftermarket strut/spring assemblies on my 2012 yukon denali xl. I want to go completely back to stock. I found the appropriate struts but also want to replace the rest of the assembly. What are all the components I need to do this? strut mount, spring, strut… anything else? Im hopeful I can find a shop to compress the spring for me as I value my life but want to be sure I have all the right equipment for them.

Thank you!
About 2 years ago, I did exactly what you are planning. I purchased the strut parts and the upper and lower control arms with the ball joints already attached. For the struts, I changed out all of the parts comprising the strut assembly, and I had my mechanic disassemble the struts and re-assemble them, with their heavy duty spring compressor. You will probably also need a new compressor, which it located under the truck behind the rear drivers side wheel well.

Go to GMPartsDirect.com, enter your VIN, and then you can find the GM parts that you need at a price considerably lower than the dealership.

And, the ride with the GM suspension was considerably better than the passive aftermarket suspension.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I’m pushing 180k+ on the original suspension in my 09 Esky. Here’s a list of parts you need to rebuild the z55 front struts w/ OEM, guaranteed for life GM struts and the ancillaries. It’s $1.2k.

If you want want to replace all the bushings and control arms with steel or aluminum, it’s another 2-$3h more.

Here’s the list of all the part #’s from RockAuto. You’d need z55 struts for the Denali. Z95 for the Esky are listed below

View attachment 429586View attachment 429587

You’ve only got to do it once the right way with a lifetime guarantee on factory struts. Jerry-rigging parts and sensors for an economy ride means you’ll be doing it again & again and have your top speed limited to 88mph or override the stability system at your own risk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Footankleg