Replacing Rear Main Seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diezelraccoon

Reaction score
I have an 03 Chevy Tahoe 2wd with the 5.3. I am fixing to resolve the rear main seal soon.

My question is what all parts am I going to need? So far I see a gasket and the rear main seal. Should I replace any other parts in there while I am at it having the transmission off?

dadwagon95

Reaction score
If I was you brother, I would recommend getting the whole retainer plate for the rear of the engine. It feels a lot better and if you get it straight oem Through chevrolet, you don't have any chances of a leak it, or he has the seal installed. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to mess with the oil pan.While you're there, that would be the only recommendation I would have
I have an 03 Chevy Tahoe 2wd with the 5.3. I am fixing to resolve the rear main seal soon.

My question is what all parts am I going to need? So far I see a gasket and the rear main seal. Should I replace any other parts in there while I am at it having the transmission off?

ecommended

dadwagon95

Reaction score
So, id get a rear engine retaining plate with seal, the oil pan gasket, and honestly for the extra couple dollars you'd may as well throw a crank seal on it too.. just my opinion, chevys always affordable and never too difficult

justirv

Reaction score
I reused my original cover, hot-tanked with light surfacing on a plate. With that I used SacCity's Alignit tool to center the seal, and also thier billet oil barbell/diverter. While the oil (cooler) block off plate is externally accessible, there is more room to address that annoying issue as well. Are you running the original trans in that '03?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the transmission, I would recommend you consider replacing the o-ring on the input shaft for the torque converter. Maybe the pump seal as well? Just ensure the torque converter is seated back in properly. Put a straightedge across the bellhousing and measure to the converter pad. Measure before, and after installation of the torque converter.

If you are removing the engine oil pan, also replace the pickup tube o-ring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbruton89